Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Lazy Hazy Days of Summer

Though it was still hot and a bit humid when I headed out around 10:30 this morning, it wasn't quite as much of either as it had been yesterday. I stopped at the mailbox in the front of the house to see if I had any mail today. Did I ever! I ended up going back in my apartment to open the package I received from Jennifer Payne, my friend from Seattle who visited me last month. She sent me a book on old-time radio, a box of smoked salmon, and a note thanking me for having her over. That was really sweet of her. Anytime, Jen! :)

I did finally make my way out to the Haddon Township Library after that, making a quick stop at Super Fresh first to see if they had Fig Newtons on sale. (Nope.) The Library was the busiest I've ever seen it! Adults and children bustled everywhere. People were likely trying to avoid the heat and amuse their children during a week many people are on vacation. I had lots of DVDs and books to put away. I finally took out two more books on self-esteem, the 2010 Mobil Guide to New York, a Disney comic book, and two American Girls Rebecca books, Rebecca to the Rescue and her first older-girls mystery, Secrets at Camp Nakomis.

Rescue is my favorite Rebecca book, along with Rebecca At the Movies. I grew up in the Jersey Shore, and Wildwood has many similar attractions to Coney Island. I know exactly how Rebecca feels when she and her siblings and relatives visit there. I used to look forward to the one or two days we'd visit the Wildwood Boardwalk every summer. The picture of Beckie, Ana, and Benny in the water reminds me so much of me, my sister Anny, and our little brother Keefe playing in the water when we were younger, right down to the amusement park in the background.

I stopped at Capitol Pizza for lunch. They have some of the area's best pizza...and some of the cheapest! I haven't had pizza in ages. I read Rebecca to the Rescue while eating a slice of mushroom pizza and gulping a Diet Coke...all for $3.36 with tax.

Rode home after that. Spent an hour or two reading and watching Muppet Show episodes indoors, then went swimming in Dad and Uncle Ken's pool. The pool felt sooo nice! It was at least 88, practically bathwater. It felt so nice and relaxing. I swam for about a half-hour, then read The Tale of Applebeck Orchard for another half-hour, just relishing the quiet.

Spent the rest of the evening inside, listening to Broadway cast albums (the original 1977 cast of Annie and 1980 cast of 42nd Street, both on LP) and making a great dinner. I had country-fried steak, fresh New Jersey corn on the cob (with no butter or salt - corn this sweet doesn't need it!), sauteed summer vegetables, and a green bean and radish salad. I used two bruised peaches and some of the Bryers Peach Ice Cream and made a peach milkshake for dessert.

No comments: