Friday, July 02, 2010

Deflated

The day started out so well. It was lovely, breezy, and comfortable again when I got up this morning. I had a tomato and mushroom omelet with cheddar cheese for breakfast. After I ate, I went to the Oaklyn Library and volunteered there; did the usual organizing the DVDs and kids' picture books. There was a teen book discussion group on the other side of the main room, but otherwise, they were pretty quiet.

No wonder. It felt great when I went on my walk down the White Horse Pike. I stopped at WaWa and got a Coke Zero fountain soda with vanilla and cherry syrups...and no unpleasant encounters with obnoxious people this time. It was noon by then, and the traffic was pretty bad on the Pike. Good thing I stayed on my side of the street.

The rest of the afternoon was devoted to my chicken leg and pasta salad lunch and to updating my finances and doing the budget. I normally wait until later in the month to get the budget done, but I figured since I had the time, I might as well get through it. Besides, I hadn't updated my check book in a while. I really overspent last month. A lot of it was counseling, vacation expenses, and buying new contacts, none of which I'll have to worry about in July.

I changed into my work uniform, made a peanut butter and peach butter sandwich for dinner, and headed downstairs. I received quite a shock when I realized that the front tire of the cruiser bike was flat. It was fine when I went to work yesterday! And when I tried to ride the mountain bike, the seat wouldn't pull forward...then it came off entirely! I guess I didn't do as good of a job as I thought putting it on. I set it as low as it would go when Lauren tried to ride it last month. I guess it was too low. The pole that holds the seat just wouldn't come back up, no matter how much we tried to pull it.

I had to get a ride from Jessa (who turned out to be on her way to work anyway) and was slightly late to work. I wasn't happy about it, but the woman I went in for didn't mind. Turns out she got caught in shore-bound traffic this morning and got in late herself! She really wanted the extra time! No wonder the manager waved it off.

Work was on-and-off busy all day. There were no really major problems customer-wise until my last one. One of the WIC Check customers gave me a hard time over the juice she was supposed to buy. Anyone who actually reads the darn pamphlets could tell you that you're supposed to buy 100% juice. Not mixes, cocktails, or added or detracted anything. She first brought me a cranberry cocktail, then a low-acid orange juice. I let her go with the orange juice because she was my last customer and was sick of dealing with her attitude, but I did tell her that it wasn't on the list and she shouldn't try buying it again. The guy behind her (who apparently worked for Shop Rite) even said she was acting ridiculous and should have known what to buy.

The irony is, when I went shopping for myself later, I noticed that the 100% Welch's juice is right next to the Cranberry-Raspberry Cocktail. She claimed she hadn't seen it. Either they'd just restocked, or she was lying through her teeth and only wanted what she wanted and not what she was supposed to get.

I saw my neighbor Michael in line towards the middle of my shift. He said he'd be home tonight and tomorrow and would look at the tire on the cruiser bike. (There isn't going to be time this weekend to mess with the seat on the mountain bike. We'll do that another time.) The tires were more pumped when Dad finally drove me home, but the front one was still flat. I'll see if I can replace it in the morning.

Oh, and I have a good schedule next week. 4th of July and Wednesday off, a few relatively late days, but nothing too bad. It was made even better when one of the managers asked me to come in on Monday 5-9. That's a little late, but four hours on what's considered a holiday this year (which means I'll get time and a half) will more than make up for it. And having the 4th of July off makes up for a lot of things. I can't remember the last time I was off completely on the 4th.

No comments: