Tuesday, March 22, 2022

A Walk On the Sunny Side

Had a very quick pumpkin pie breakfast this morning before dashing to work. Pushed carts for an hour and swept the store, then spent the remaining three hours taking customers. We were pretty busy for a Tuesday, thanks to it being our Senior Discount Day and the senior apartment building just two blocks away. We still don't have a lot of help, either. I'm surprised they were able to find someone who could come in for me so I could go home.

Took the long way home down Nicholson Road. It was certainly a gorgeous day for it. Clouds hung on as I went to work, but they were gone by noon. Dodged road work as I headed over to Newton, then went back to East Clinton. I did have to dodge a lot of traffic on Nicholson and Atlantic as everyone came home or went out to lunch.

Turns out I had counseling today, not last week. Talked to Mrs. Stahl after lunch. I'm incredibly lucky I only worked in the morning and didn't have to cancel, because I had a lot to discuss with her. On one hand, I did find somewhere to live, made friends with my neighbors, and finally made the doctor's and neuropsychologist appointments. 

Trouble is...Rose is still angry at me. I want her in my life, but she doesn't want me here anymore. She wants me to live with Mom so she won't have to be my caretaker, and refuses to accept that it can't happen. And there was the unorganized move that ended with things I wanted here that are in storage, and things that should be in storage here. 

And yeah, I still want out of South Jersey. Mrs. Stahl is really big on my moving to New England to live near Lauren, maybe in central Massachusetts. Well...maybe. They're still really expensive, and I don't know what the public transportation is like. I was thinking closer, maybe the Pennsylvania suburbs of Philadelphia. We'll just have to see what happens. I can't move until I get a decent job...and I can't get a decent job until I figure out what's wrong with me.

Cindy and her friend were painting and putting up the board when I finished. I worked on writing for a half-hour, then decided it was too nice to be inside. Headed out into the perfect 64-degree sunshine for a walk and to run a few errands. Bought a more professional strawberry banana smoothie at WaWa. Strolled to the other side of Oaklyn and bought conditioner and low-sat almonds at CVS. By that point, the traffic had dwindled to nothing, and there were lots of families and joggers out for a stroll or a run. It really was wonderful to be out and about and enjoying the day.

Worked on writing when I got in. Patti (Deustch) Dee and Donald (Ross) Dum are going to have a battle...if they can move in their heavy home-made armor. It turns out to be a moot point when the "storm" that's been brewing overhead is actually an enormous raven...one that's being ridden by the Red King (Mark Goodson).

Broke for leftovers and to get organized around 6:30. Got done just in time to watch the infamous "School Riot" on Match Game '77. Yes, this was episode where Richard Dawson and Debralee Scott angrily protested their "Finishing School" answers not matching the contestant's "School" and Brett Somers and Ed Asner's "College." For Richard, who already protested several answers over the past few weeks and would protest several more in the coming months, this was likely the last straw. From late 77 through his departure in June 1978, his lack of control over the outcome of the game would make him far less interested in Match Game

Match Game PM was a lot less dire. Fred Grandy took over for Charles while he directed opera and enjoyed flirting with a bubbly blonde contestant. He had more trouble helping her with "__ of Cards" in the Head to Head. 

Finished the night with Coal Miner's Daughter at Amazon Prime after a shower. I go further into this biopic featuring Sissy Spacek as country music pioneer Loretta Lynn at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

No comments: