Monday, March 14, 2022

Spring Has Sprung

Awoke to a trilling phone. Mom finally got back to me after I called her last night. I'm still upset about Rose ignoring me and saying she's done with me. Why? If she's having problems, why can't she talk to me? She also keeps taking on the legal work for the entire clan, without considering the toll that takes on her and her relationships with us. I also later found out from Craig on Facebook that her 15-year-old miniature pincher Kelsey just died after a long battle with kidney disease, too. Kelsey was Rose's first dog she had as an adult, and she was as much her baby as her human babies. 

Still...we're sisters, barely a year apart. We've shared a lot over the years. I know we're as different as can be, but that doesn't mean I don't love her. Is she afraid she'll end up taking care of me? Why? I'm an adult. I can take care of myself. Why can't she trust me? Because she doesn't think I can change? Because she's angry I didn't move in with Mom? Why did she think that was a great idea in the first place?

I want to prove I can change. In addition to the doctor's appointments, there's other medical examinations I've put off. Next on the list after the physical along with the neuropsychologist is an updated eye exam and finally buying new glasses. I had my previous exam in February 2020, less than a month before the pandemic began. By the time I had money for glasses, the pandemic was in full swing, and I wasn't sure they were even open. Haven't been to the gynecologist since 2018, either. I had extensive dental work done last year, so my next check-up will be put off until the late spring-early summer, but it will get done. 

After I finally got off with Mom, I spent the next hour and a half finishing The Life (and Wife) of Allen Ludden, then had breakfast. Ate it fast, then took my tea upstairs to watch the end of Supermarket Sweep. Came in just as a trio of daughters were running the Big Sweep for their moms. 

Spent the next hour and a half doing research and checking around my blog. I did finally call the Clinical Neuropsychology Associates office in Voorhees. They need to check my insurance and see what I can pay before they give me an appointment; said it'll be a few days. 

Had a quick muffin-and-fruit lunch before heading out. It was way too nice to sit inside. I've spent too much time inside lately anyway. Spring has certainly sprung in Camden County. Daffodils blossom like frilly yellow suns in the front yard; new dark green grass pushes through old, brittle yellow patches. Buds push their way through the branches on the trees bobbing over the bottle-green lake. 

Headed down the dirt path, intending to come out at Bettlewood...but maybe that wasn't the best idea. The path was still muddy and slippery from the heavy rains and snow we had earlier in the week. I mostly walked on either side of the path until I got closer to the entrance and was on firmer footing. 

Made my way down Bettlewood after I left the park, then across the White Horse Pike. I was hoping to have a chat with some of my neighbors about Rose, Jodie, and the house. Ran into Maria and her darling granddaughter Piper as I came up to Manor. While Piper played in one of the new patches of grass and counted the planes flying overhead, she told me Jodie left for good earlier in the morning. The new owners won't be moving in until May, though. Jodie only refinished the floors and painted the house. It requires far more extensive remodeling than that. 

Another neighbor drove up as we talked. She had a pile of clothes she got off a friend whose sister died and thought I might want. Most of the pants were too small, and while I appreciate her fondness for L.L Bean's shirts, they tend to run small too. I did find a pair of shorts that might work and several shirts, including two Hawaiian shirts. 

We ended up at her mother's condo on the other side of Bettlewood on the way home. Her mother is a tiny, frail older lady in her 90's who moves around with a walker. She kept insisting my neighbor buy her ballpoint pens, even though she apparently bought her pens earlier. She left her mother looking for care options online when we left and she took me home. 

Watched Whew! as I made a to-do list of everything I need to get done in the next few weeks. Rita Moreno and Richard Kline were the celebrities helping their contestants charge through pun-filled statements in this episode. Rita and her lady had no trouble getting to the top, and even less difficulty holding off the guys. 

Let Match Game '76 run as I finished up my list. Towards the end of the episode, Gene mentions Richard's starring in a new show called Family Feud in the fall. Everyone congratulates his good fortune...but Richard's involvement with Feud will cause many headaches for all concerned in the coming months as the demand of starring in two game shows takes a toll on him.

Worked on writing for an hour after I finished. Everyone's out of breath but a lot happier after doing "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" with Patti and Donald. They somehow have the energy to recite "The Walrus and the Carpenter," too. Their good humor won't last much longer, though...

Switched to Match Game PM while getting leftovers for dinner. A good-looking Naval officer played a pretty Israeli woman who didn't speak English that well and didn't seem to really understand the game. Charles has more luck with "__ Electric" in the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night after a shower exploring online. I re-signed with HBO Max. Yes, on one hand, they're a bit pricier than the competition...but they also have TCM movies, plus a decent selection of Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Scooby Doo shows and shorts and most everything DC put out, and frankly a far better selection of old and new movies than Paramount Plus. I mainly wanted them for the TCM movies I can no longer get without cable. 

Settled for an episode of old favorite Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman after I finally got on. Clark and Lois are about to consummate their marriage in the fourth season when H.G Wells (Terry Kieser) shows up and tells them they're under a curse. Bad things will happen if they make love. They have to go back in time, first to a medieval era where Clark is a Robin Hood-esque outlaw and Lois is the lady he loves, and then to the Wild West, where Clark is pretty much the Lone Ranger and Lois is a local reporter whose parents were kidnapped by bandits, to end the curse and prove why they're "Soul Mates." 

No comments: