Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Troubled Month of May

Barely had the time for breakfast and a little more research before my appointment with Vocational Rehabilitation. It sounds like the gentleman is going to recommend me to another counselor who can help me with my resumes and knows more about finding writing jobs. At this point, I just want out of retail, period. I don't belong there. It's not the right work for me. I've always known that. I just need to find what is. 

Rushed out after lunch on a sunny, breezy morning. Of course, the chain came off as I rode down Kendall when I was already running late. One of the residents took pity on me and gave me and my bike a ride to work. I felt bad, but he said he didn't mind, and even volunteered to come and attempt to fix it at work later.

Work was a little busier than it has been. Not only are we getting closer to Memorial Day Weekend, but today is our Senior Discount Day. I was supposed to be bagging, but they kept dumping me in a register or putting me in so people could go on break. I did finally manage to get to the carts during the second half of my shift, and rounded up the trash and recycling, too. Plus I had help from the morning bagger for almost the entire day. 

Alas, it turned out my neighbor didn't have the right tools needed to get the chain back on my bike. I ended up walking it home. I wasn't sure if any Uber driver would be able to carry it, and I didn't want to disrupt anyone's dinner. Another neighbor did say she might know someone who could fix bikes when I got back.

Finally got home just in time for dinner and the second half of Match Game '74. Allen Ludden turns up for the second time on the show, getting to witness Elaine Joyce in her goofy plaid bow tie and Richard Dawson starting a near-riot over his answer to what the first-class passengers get to cook in the cannibal airplane. Fannie Flagg tosses back a crack Brett Somers makes about the women on the lower desks having dark roots by reminding her that she doesn't wear her own hair. 

Richard wasn't much happier on Match Game PM, even when they got to help a single 19-year-old girl contestant. Charles teases Brett about the green silk Asian-style dress she's wearing. Brett is more amused by that kid's answer to who ends up in the same sleeping bag as Grizzly Adams!

Finished the night online with Camelot at HBO Max. I go further into this epic version of the Broadway musical version of the King Arthur legends at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Found The Broadway of Lerner and Loewe while looking for more of their music on YouTube. This 1962 special features Julie Andrews, Richard Burton, and Robert Goulet (all of whom were appearing in the stage Camelot at that point), along with Maurice Chevalier and Stanley Holloway. Chevalier narrates this look at how Broadway musicals are cast and rehearsed; the second half gives us some very strange numbers, including Julie's "With a Little Bit of Luck" with the boys and Holloway and Chevalier doing "It's Almost Like Being In Love." At least Holloway gets to recreate his "Get Me to the Church On Time" from My Fair Lady, and Andrews gets "Show Me." Look for Charles Nelson Reilly in a short bit as a playwright who predicts Lady will fail. 

No comments: