Friday, May 20, 2022

Seeing Is Believing

Happily slept in this morning. It was past 11 when I had breakfast while watching one of the newest episodes of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. Miss Elaina and Daniel are thrilled to help with "Jodi's Lemonade Stand," but not when it starts raining and they leave the sign they made outside. Lady Elaine encourages them to say all the things they need out loud in order to remember it all. Dan Sr. also tells his son that "Daniel Remembers What He Needs" for school when he says them to himself.

Went straight into a slightly older episode as I got organized. "Daniel and Miss Elaina Bake Pretzels" with Baker Aker. Elaina's upset when Daniel rolls his dough too close to her, and then Dan's not happy when Jodi tries to nose in and see his butterfly pretzel. Baker Aker reminds the kids to give them enough room to do what they need to do. "O Gives Daniel Space" when they play library at the treehouse. 

Switched to Match Game '77 on Buzzr before heading out around 12:30. I really needed to pick up my new glasses. I heard from Kresloff's earlier in the week, but I didn't have the time to get them then. I thought of going on Tuesday, but I was just too darn tired. I walked right in and sat down, and they had them for me within a minute. Got a new case, too, and a new fabric wipe along with cleaner. 

I love them! Everything is so much sharper and brighter than it used to be. I can see so much more detail, too. They're insanely thick, though, much thicker than the old ones. I didn't realize my eyes were that bad. I'm glad I chose the frames I did, though. The lenses are a bit more squarish than the old ones, and the earpieces have a lovely flowery design with little crystals on them. They're a metallic brown, and really pretty. 

On my way to the Station House office building, I saw a new comic book store next door in what used to be a gym that specialized in stationary bikes. They were a huge square room filled with boxes and shelves of comics, along with Funco Pops and other geeky toys. I didn't see much that interested me, but Lauren will probably love it when she visits after Memorial Day.

Did my grocery shopping next. Found inexpensive salt-free almonds and a container of celery and carrot sticks at the Westmont Acme, but they only had the more expensive 8-packs of Larabars. I ended up getting more of Target's apple and lemon date bars. Needed anti-itch cream there, too. Stopped at Family Dollar for a pack of underwear.

The dark clouds that gathered all afternoon finally burst as I walked out of Family Dollar. I was hoping to run a few more errands, but decided better dry than sorry. I rushed home in a downpour and a thunderstorm. Thank goodness I was only a few blocks from home, and the rain waited until I'd been at home for at least a half-hour to really start pouring.

Went straight upstairs and into a nap. I'm still really, really wiped out. I've been nodding off standing up everywhere, including at work. Went down around 3; didn't get up until 5.

Had an early dinner while watching Match Game '76. Saw the last episode of Brianne Leary's run as a contestant. She won about $9,000...enough for her to drop her day job and pursue acting. She'd become the only contestant who later appeared on the panel when she turned up in Match Game '79 after starring on Chips. For some reason, they skipped the next two episodes and went right into the week with Bob Barker, Patty Duke, and Fannie Flagg. They get to help a very pretty lady with "__ Nation" on the Audience Match...but it's the contestant who gets it right!

Worked on writing for a while next. Charles manages to get him and Brett down from the cliff by holding onto his hat...literally, which allows them to float down. Brett's just grateful they're back on the ground. They have to dodge the fearsome Jabberwock and find their way out and get Brett to jump to the next square.

I also got my schedule. Somewhat better schedule, only one 8 1/2 hour day and two days off. I also work late enough on Tuesday that I should be able to get my appointment with Vocational Rehabilitation in and not have to ask for that day off. 

Finished the night on HBO Max with Tootsie. Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman) is a stage actor teaching classes and desperately searching for work in New York City. He hears about a job on soap opera Southwestern Hospital from his girlfriend Sandy (Terri Garr) and goes for it, despite it being for a woman. He dresses in drag and calls himself "Dorothy Michaels" to audition. 

Not only does he land the part, he's a sensation, playing the role as a tough, no-nonsense feminist, rather than the silly female the sexist director Ron (Dabney Coleman) originally wrote. He has a crush on his co-star Julie Nichols, but she's more interested in how to deal with her faltering relationship with Ron. Her father Les (Charles Durning) and his hammy co-star John Van Horn (George Gaynes) both have crushes on him. All he wanted was to make enough money to put on his best friend Jeff's (Bill Murray) play...but he's going to have to play the role of his life if he wants to talk his way out of this!

I vaguely remember seeing this as a young child and enjoying the familiar cast, but not really understanding much else. I like it a lot more now that I understand the soap opera conventions they're spoofing and how Michael learns about the differences between the sexes, and just how hard it is to be a woman out there. A great script and terrific supporting cast makes this highly recommended, especially for fans of 80's comedies or Hoffman. 

No comments: