Thursday, August 05, 2010

Balance On Vacation

I got a lot done today. Started off a hot, humid day with yoga class. We worked on stretching and arm work. A lot of it involved holding yourself up on blocks and kicking or swinging. I'm trying, but I don't know if my arms aren't strong enough, or I just can't get it. Oh, well. There were only 8 people in the class, counting me, my friend Pattie, and the teacher Karin, so no one really saw much.

The thrift shop was the next stop. I had some clothes to donate to Erica. After that, I headed for volunteering at the Oaklyn Library. Not a whole lot to do there; nothing to put away and no DVDs to file. I organized the DVDs on the shelves and read Calvin and Hobbes upstairs for a while.

My next stop was Haddon Hair Designs across the street from the thrift shop. I usually wait at least another month before I get my hair done, but between the heat and my lack of finances, I figured I might as well get it done now. The nice girl I had in February layered it and cut it slightly longer than last time, but shorter than it was. I like my hair just above shoulder length. It's not too short, and yet not too heavy.

After that, I treated myself to lunch at Tortilla Press, a few doors down from the thrift shop on the same block. Tortilla Press is a tasty Mexican restaurant. They're a little pricey, but not too out of line for what you get. Like all Collingswood eateries, they get their produce fresh from the Farm Market during the summer and fall, and it made all the difference. I had a delicious chicken and cheese quesadilla and a small but tasty salad for a little over $9 with tax. I suspect the salsa and chips were home-made.

I headed home after that via a windy ride in Newton River Park. Spent the next couple of hours working on last month's budget (spent the most by far on food, which is what I figured, since I didn't really do much last month) and editing this month's Monkees role play. The role play should be up by later tonight.

Went out for a walk around 4PM. I needed skim milk anyway, so I thought I'd have a nice, brisk stroll down the White Horse Pike. Kaya's Custard Corner is a few blocks down from WaWa, so I went there first and treated myself to a mint chocolate chip water ice while watching Spongebob Squarepants on the TV. Kaya's was a little busy with rush-hour people looking for refreshment, but the line wasn't really bad. WaWa wasn't busy, either. I was in and out of there with my milk and no problems.

Spent the rest of the evening crocheting and watching What's New, Scooby Doo? episodes and two Bowery Boys movies, News Hounds and Mr. Hex. While I'm probably never going to be the fan Lauren is, I have to admit, I'm enjoying the Bowery Boys movies quite a bit. They're basically 75-minute slapstick sitcoms, and as such, have held up remarkably well.

No comments: