Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Felicity's Retirement Party and Other Stories

I slept in again and started today late with a Tomato, Mushroom, and Colby Cheese Omelet and a ride to the Haddon Township Library. I got in around 11:30, and while it wasn't busy, there were plenty of DVDs to put away and books to shelve. I didn't want to stay too long because of my sore ankle, and I had no intention of taking out books. I have plenty to read at home! I did take out three more DVDs - the 60s Journey to the Center of the Earth with James Mason, Please Don't Eat the Daisies with Doris Day and James Niven, and another set of recent Care Bears cartoons.

Made two quick stops on the way home. There was nothing I needed at Super Fresh. I did get a turkey and swiss hoagie and Cherry-Chocolate Iced Tea from the fountain to have for lunch at home.

I spent the rest of the day in and around my apartment. Bored, I decided to try something different that wouldn't tax my ankle. Inspired by the many photo stories at the AGPlaythings Message Board, I decided to try my hand at creating a story about several Care Bears, the other AG dolls, and my Sailor Moon Barbie-sized doll Sailor Mini Moon holding a "retirement" party for a morose Felicity to try to lift her spirits.

Felicity's Retirement Party

I was going to go swimming, but I wasn't up for it, and I'd already done enough on my ankle. I opted to read the rest of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm on my porch instead. I really enjoyed that, by the way. A coming-of-age tale similar to Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, Rebecca is about a young girl in New England who is sent to live with two spinster aunts in order to get a better education. The story follows her adventures in trying to please her aunts, especially stern Aunt Miranda, making friends, and getting into scrapes. It's not at all as saccharine as it's reputation suggests, and nothing like the Shirley Temple movie of the same title. If you enjoyed the Anne series, I'd highly recommend giving Miss Rebecca Randall a try.

No comments: