Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away!

I was laying in bed around 9AM, contemplating whether or not it was a good idea to get up or just stay where I was and try to get some more shut-eye. My cell phone answered that question when I heard it go off. Mom called to say "hi." She did end up staying at the Michael's. She's been complaining that the hauling she does there is hard on her arthritis, but they've lost a lot of help lately to kids leaving and college students going back to classes. She said her boss begged her to stay until at least after the holidays, and she agreed. I think that's smart. She'll still have money away from Dad, including extra money for Christmas shopping. Once she gets past Christmas, she might be in a better mind to decide what to do.

The morning was gloomy, rainy, hot, and crazy-humid. I was actually happy about that. As I've said, we really needed the rain. It was good rain, too. We had some good, solid showers on and off all day. I stayed inside, fooling around online and listening to Brunch With the Beatles ("The Beatles' Movies" was the theme today).

It was just starting to sprinkle when I finally headed off for work. The sprinkle was picking up to another shower when I arrived at work. Thankfully, I got inside before I could get really wet.

Work was the same as yesterday - busy until around 5, after which it slowed to on-and-off. Business at the Acme should pick up as people return from vacations and start preparing for Labor Day celebrations.

I got lucky with the weather going home, too. My relief was late again, so I just shut down and headed out with my container of small butter cookies. I got in around 6:15. By the time I was sitting down to salmon, roasted peppers, and dandelion greens salad for dinner, around 6:45, it was pouring again. The rain stopped by 7. It looks like it's breaking up out there now, but it's still humid.

I got The Dress Circle in tonight, too. "Pop Singers Who Performed Broadway Tunes" was the theme tonight. Other than some unnecessary comments about the state of modern music in the beginning, we heard some fine standards from Frank Sinatra, Jack Jones, The Four Aces, Shirley Bassey, Julie London, Doris Day, and Sarah Vaughn, among others.

No comments: