Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Picnics and Libraries

Slept in and started out late again. It was once again cloudy, but this time it was more humid and a little warmer, in the upper 70s-lower 80s. Warmer and more humid than it has been, but nothing resembling last month.

I made a quick stop at Super Fresh first. I'm out of maple syrup, and Super Fresh has much better prices on real maple syrup than the Acme. (The Acme's cheapest is $6.99. Super Fresh has their small size on sale for $4.99.) I also picked up a turkey and Swiss hoagie for lunch, figuring I'd eat that quickly at home after I got in.

I didn't arrive at the library until quarter of noon. It wasn't really busy when I got in, but things picked up later in the day. I mostly shelved non-fiction DVDs. There were also a pile of kids' CDs to put away. Pointed out the kids' DVD section to one mother and her brood.

Since I brought back a pile of books, I took out another pile. I continued my exploration of children's literature with Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and the second All-Of-A-Kind Family book. Took out two more books on doing what you want and exploring opportunities. Found Wild Ride, an interesting-looking adult action/supernatural story of a young woman who encounters obstacles both demonic and romantic when she restores a long-gone amusement park. I also checked out four DVDs - the 80s soap opera spoof Soapdish, the musicals Dreamgirls and Strictly Ballroom, and a collection of episodes of Pup Named Scooby Doo.

It was late when I finally left the library, almost 3PM, and I still hadn't had lunch. I decided I was too hungry to wait until I got home to have my hoagie. I enjoyed a nice little picnic at a table in Newton River Park, under two trees a few blocks down from Cuthbert Road. It was far enough away that the noise of the busy street were barely a memory. I had a very pleasant lunch, listening to birds chirp and fish splash and reading Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm while I ate my hoagie.

I was thirsty going back, so I stopped at Leo's Yum Yums for a Root Beer Water Ice. There were two women chatting at the window, but other than that, it was pretty quiet there, too. I did see a lot of people out doing lawns today. I guess the recent rain is finally starting to show on the grass.

Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening at home, cleaning and doing chores. I'm starting this year's fall cleaning this week with a major bathroom scrub. I hadn't really scrubbed the bathroom since late May. In addition to doing the tub and the sink and toilet and all the tile around them, I washed the bathroom and hall floors. I normally only do them in the spring, but they looked disgusting. Wiped down the window blinds, too, and dusted them. I'll see if I can get the kitchen and vacuuming the apartment in tomorrow after yoga and volunteering at the Collingswood Library.

No comments: