Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Easy Goin'

It was a good morning for sleeping in. The weather all day was cloudy, gloomy, and much cooler than it has been, no warmer than 70. Given what it's been like around here all summer, I'll count that as a good thing. I could even wear capris without sweating to death.

I went for a walk after breakfast. I decided to go by Dad and Uncle Ken's house and see if he's home yet. Yes, he is. Uncle Ken was on the porch, and he was inside, doing things online. He's fine. He was hired by a very fancy cruise ship and made quite a bit of money. He may be doing another one soon, although that trip seems to be postponed for now.

(He also added that the pool had quite a bit of algae in it when he came home. He usually takes care of the pool area, so it was up to him to get it clean. He says it's still not quite right. I don't know if I'll be going swimming again this summer. The weather is pretty much supposed to stay more-or-less like this for the rest of the week.)

I made a quick trip around to CVS and back after leaving Dad. I didn't go in CVS, just went down that block. When I got home, I worked on Wishcraft exercises while watching The Chipmunk Adventure and the Happy Summer Days Disney shorts video. Had a quick yogurt lunch, then paid this month's college bill online.

Headed to work next. It was so cool out, I actually needed a jacket on my ride. I didn't even roll up my pants legs. Hasn't felt this nice out in ages. I wasn't even sweating when I arrived at the Acme.

Work was on-and-off busy. It came and went in spurts, mostly during the 4-6 rush hour. There were no major problems, my relief was on time, and I was able to buy my green mint tea and ride home quickly despite the continuing traffic on the Black Horse Pike.

I had leftover Persian Cucumber Salad and a chicken thigh for dinner when I got home and watched Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird, the first Sesame Street movie. A misguided but well-meaning social worker insists Big Bird should live with other birds...but the family she places him with are stupid and a bit bigoted. Big Bird runs away, hoping to make it back to Sesame Street. His friends and neighbors go after him...and so do a pair of sleazy carnival owners who want him for their sideshow.

If your kids don't mind the lack of recent characters like Elmo and Zoe, this is still a really cute movie. Great music, too, including the fun traveling songs "Easy Going Day" and "Ain't No Road Too Long" and the lovely ballad "One Little Star."

1 comment:

nostalgiajunkie said...

I love Follow That Bird! It has such great songs in it. It was also one of the first movies to make me feel sad (I was five at the time).