Thursday, August 26, 2010

On a Clear Day, You Can Balance Forever

It was an absolutely stunning day in Southern New Jersey when I left for yoga class. It was sunny, clear as a bell, dry, and no more than 80 degrees. It was a great day for yoga. I just wish I could get better at doing headstands! A 12-person class worked on headstands and neck-opening exercises this morning. I still wish I could do heandstands. I'd feel a lot better.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm two steps behind the rest of the world. I told a friend from the class so after work. My friend Lauren is going to be starting graduate school classes next winter. My sister who is closest to me just had a baby, and most of the people I see around here who are my age have kids.

I'm still not losing nearly as much weight as I'd like. I want to join a gym, but I don't have the money. Actually, I'd like to join any kind of exercise class, but it's hard to find cheap classes in this area. My classmate suggested looking up local walking or biking groups. It was a good idea. I may do it tonight or tomorrow. I'm not used to thinking in terms of groups, or for looking for groups who would be interested in me. However, I really do want to lose weight. Going it alone doesn't seem to be working anymore, and Rose is too busy to support me this time.

Headed for the library next. Very busy day there. I organized piles of DVDs, pulled DVDs that were categorized wrong, and returned non-fiction books. I also looked up books on several recent interests of mine, including the Bowery Boys.

It was after 1 before I headed home. I stopped at WaWa for water and mini-Yorks. Stopped at the thrift shop to say "hi" to Erica and bought a never-used copy of one of the 80s Care Bear Family sets. It was still in its wrapping and everything.

It was almost 2 before I finally returned back to the apartment. I had a peanut butter and apple butter sandwich and a peach for lunch, then spent the rest of the afternoon watching Care Bears and Pup Named Scooby Doo and continuing this month's cleaning. I washed the deck furniture. I scrubbed the trash and recycling canisters. I did the kitchen.

I realized when I was cleaning the kitchen that I was out of dust spray. It was too nice to be inside for very long anyway, so I went for a walk to CVS to see if they had any. They did, but it was expensive. I'll see if the Acme has it tomorrow.

I saw lots of people when I was out and about. There were groups of kids on bikes and parents chatting on porches. People walked their dogs and pushed their children in huge strollers, enjoying the beautiful day.

When I came home, I made Marinated Chicken and Tomatoes and corn on the cob for dinner and watched Dreamgirls. If you're a musical fan and you haven't seen it yet, seek it out. It's the fabulous story of the rise of a fictional 60s girl soul group, and how one is ousted from the group when her straightforward manner and curvy body just doesn't fit. Jennifer Hudson mightily deserved her Oscar win; her "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" is the most amazing solo performance I've ever seen in a movie musical.

No comments: