Saturday, August 21, 2010

Summer Harvest

I was getting ready to head out for the bank and the farm market when the phone rang. Yup, it was the Acme. Could I come in at 10? No. It was quarter of 9! Not to mention even if I didn't get to the farm market, I really needed to hit the bank. I have bills to pay this week. I told them I'd be in around noon.

It was another gorgeous day in the neighborhood. The humidity had risen a bit, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as earlier this month or last month. It wasn't really that hot, either. The bank was quiet when I deposited this week's paycheck. The Farm Market, on the other hand, was bustling. Blueberries are gone, but I did see the first pears and large squashes of the year. I picked up an organic eggplant, tomatoes, an ear of corn, small Gala apples, peaches, red plums, a jar of apple butter, and tiny little grapes that turned out to be as sweet as candy.

Stopped at CVS really quick for shaving cream. (Which is MUCH cheaper there than at the Acme! It's $1.49 there, compared to the Acme's $2.49.) I only saw one yard sale this morning, and it mostly had baby clothes. I was home by quarter after 10. I put everything away, had Peanut butter and apple butter on honey whole wheat bread sandwich and an incredibly sweet red plum for an early lunch, and did finally make it to work around 11:30.

Actually, I'm glad I went early. I didn't really have any huge plans for this morning after my farm-market run anyway. The Acme was steady-busy all afternoon, and despite two call-outs we had plenty of help. There were no major problems. It was quiet enough by 6 for me to close down, despite my relief being one of the boys who is always late coming in from his other job.

I had a quick dinner of a leftover Chicken Thigh Poached in Lemon-Wine Sauce and Persian Cucumber Salad, then changed back into regular clothes and went for a walk. I headed down to Goff Avenue, then back around the neighborhood next to the Oaklyn School and over to West Clinton. I treated myself to a pineapple Leo's Yum-Yum for dessert before strolling home for a shower.

No comments: