Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th

This was a fairly quiet day. Some of you probably spent it watching the ridiculously long-running Friday the 13th slasher movie series. As for me, I'm a wuss when it comes to horror. I'd rather laugh at my fears than jump at them. I opted for a spooky Bowery Boys movie, Spook Busters, instead.

(However, I intend to save the remaining horror-themed Bowery Boys and East Side Kids movies for October and Halloween. I don't have much that's horror-themed that I can handle to watch that month, so it'll be nice to have these.)

I ran to the Acme after Spook Busters ended. No paycheck today (we get our vacation paychecks in advance), but I figured I'd get my grocery shopping done anyway. Not that I needed much. I mostly stocked up on necessities like yogurt, tuna, peanuts, and granola bars. I ran out of vanilla last week and grabbed some today. Also got money for next week.

Rode straight home after I finished at the Acme. I made Tuscan Tuna-Bean Salad and Persian Cucumber Salad for lunch. After I ate, I went to the Oaklyn Library. I worked a bit on organizing the children's fiction books (which I haven't done in a while), but I got there a half-hour before they closed for the afternoon, and I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.

My next stop was CVS, via a stroll on the White Horse Pike, for a lint roller. Those black shorts I bought with Mom last week are nice, but they pick up lint like crazy. It had been cloudy earlier, but the humidity from yesterday was gone. The sun started to peek out as I left CVS; it got a bit hotter, but still nothing like last week, and not humid.

I took advantage of the cooler weather to make Zucchini-Carrot Muffins for a snack while watching more Bowery Boys. I spent the rest of the afternoon at home. I worked on crocheting Molly's hat. I swept the porch, which really needed it. It's been so windy these past few days! I thought of going swimming, but the wind was chilly, and it started sprinkling briefly around quarter after 5.

Watched Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure during a lovely dinner of Dandelion Greens and Tomato Salad, a Chicken Thigh Poached in Lemon-Wine Sauce, and a slice of Blueberry Brunch Cake. I know I've said I'm not a fan of Peter Pan, but these Tinker Bell movies barely qualify. They're set in the world of Pixie Hollow in Neverland, where Fairies work in harmony to keep nature running. Tink is an industrious "tinker fairy," who creates machines that help the other fairies in their work. Tink's friends are a bit one-note (and despite the name voice cast, we don't see that much of them), and the lessons about being proud of your gifts and accepting friendship are spread on too thick. In general, though, these are sweet, enjoyable movies that would be really cute for girls who are too old for princesses, but too young for wizards and pop stars.

No comments: