Monday, August 23, 2010

A Walk In the Rain

It was sunny, clear, and dry when I got up this morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was much cooler than it has been, too, barely in the 80s. It was a perfect morning to do the laundry. I had to work at noon, and I would have waited until later, but I really needed to get my Acme uniform shirt washed. I only have one short-sleeved one this time. I did get a long-sleeved shirt, but we're obviously not quite ready for that yet.

There were big, heavy clouds on the horizon even as I was leaving the laundromat. By the time I'd put my clothes away and was having an early lunch, it was cloudy and much cooler (though oddly enough, still not as humid as it has been). It started to sprinkle as I headed out to work.

Work was a little less busy than the weekend, but there were still larger crowds than there have been over the past month. Not only is everyone coming back from vacation, but we have kids going back to school in a few weeks and people getting ready for their big Labor Day celebrations. I had a relief, but he was called in early, so another boy was pulled from the self-checkout line to finish off the Express lane so I could buy some very on-sale lemons (15 cents a lemon!) and go home.

My customers said the rain had picked up shortly after I arrived at work. It was just sprinkling again when I came home. By the time I got in, the rain was slightly heavier, though hardly a raging storm. It was so nice and cool and smelled so fresh, I decided to go out for a walk anyway. Rain or no rain, I'd been inside for most of the day.

I'm glad I did. It was even cooler by then, probably in the upper 70s, and it felt great. I even wore my blue rain jacket with no problems. The rain never got heavier than a gentle shower. I strolled down Goff Avenue and around the neighborhood behind Kendall Boulevard, then back down Kendall. I wasn't the only one out in the rain, either. I saw kids walking in packs and one guy even mowing his lawn.

The rain didn't pick up until well after I'd arrived home. I listened to the rain on my roof as I had Beef and Pepper Stir-Fry for dinner and watched Summer Magic. Since it was so cool and Acme was having that lemon sale, I made lemon squares while Summer Magic ended.

No comments: