Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fruits (and Doll) Of My Labor

It was so nice to be able to go to the Farm Market today without rushing! I didn't work until 1PM, so I had plenty of time to buy leeks, mushrooms, pears, darling little Mackintosh apples, and ornamental gourds and small pumpkins for my living room. I stopped quickly at the thrift shop to drop off my old Christmas videos, then headed off in search of yard and garage sales.

I only found one yard sale, but it was a corker. There were some nice Christmas ornaments and a wonderful collection of stuffed animals going back to the 80s, but I didn't have much room left by then on the bike. I initially just picked up Lynryd Skyryd and Ray Charles' LPs, but as I was leaving, I happened to turn around and look at the pile of stuffed animals again. I saw a familiar bit of red and pink peeping out from between two battered teddy bears...and remembered. I got quickly off my bike and dove back into the pile, coming up with a little piece of my childhood - the Strawberry Shortcake rag doll! My sister Rose and I had Strawberry Shortcake rag dolls around 1983. I had Strawberry herself; Rose had her more sophisticated buddy Lemon Meringue. Strawberry was dirty and didn't really smell anymore, but she was otherwise intact. I tossed her in the laundry basket when I get home; she'll get a washing machine bath on Tuesday.

I wish work was that pleasant. It was crazy-busy for most of the day, with long lines, cranky customers, and little help. It's Columbus Day Weekend, and a lot of people who haven't gone down to the Shore to close up their summer houses are holding birthday and sports parties (what with the Phillies in the playoffs) or buying food for fall carnivals and get-togethers...or even just enjoying the gorgeous weather.

I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart after work to see if they had the Christmas Classics Collection set. No dice. They were just pulling out a few shelves of Christmas items in the very back. Not only that, but they were just as busy (and as obnoxious) as the Acme. I got out of there as quickly as possible. FYE was better; I did the 2 for $25 WebKinz sale there and bought Lauren her birthday present and me the buffalo I really wanted. (I'm trying not to buy WebKinz unless I REALLY want them or they're not something I'm going to find anywhere else. I suspect I'll end up getting a lot for Christmas this year.) FYE didn't have the collection but were just putting out their holiday videos. I'll go back there when I get paid on Friday.

I stopped at Tu Se Bella Pizzeria near FYE for two slices of pizza and a bottle of water before heading home. My buffalo "scared" a naughty little girl into sitting down with her mommy and aunt. ;)

Oh, and meet Sitting Bull, my big Buffalo! He's really a sweet softy under that heavy hide who loves kids and a good joke as much as the next WebKinz. He's proud of his Western and Indian heretige (he claims the picture of buffalo grazing in the kitchen of his and Rhonda the Deer's Western Fall Condo is a painting of his ancestors). He's Pet #50, and as such, came with an Exclusive Bed. I chose the Monster Under My Bed for Boo's Halloween Room.

No comments: