Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Winterizing the Apartment

Just did some chores at home this morning. Pulled out my winter clothes, mostly to see what I needed after getting rid of a lot last year. Not as much as I thought. I mostly need turtlenecks and mock turtles - I only have my green Land's End turtleneck and my red one left. I could use a winter dress, and I would have needed a new winter coat whether I'd lost weight or not. My lighter winter coat is fraying badly at the cuffs and hems; my heavier winter coat has holes and is missing a button. I've had both for over a decade, the heavier coat since high school. Oh, and I need real winter boots.

I also covered the air conditioner and cleaned the filter for the last time this season. I don't think I'll really need it again. Even if it gets warmer, I doubt it'll get above 75. The 90-degree heat wave we had early last October was something of a freak of nature. If it does get warm, I'll just pull out the fan. After I finished there, I went in the back room and organized the scrapbooks, yearbooks, Christmas books, and photo albums that fell off the bamboo shelves I was keeping them on. I won't be able to do that for very long once it gets colder. The back room isn't heated and it can get chilly over there!

It was such a gorgeous day, I went for a quick walk around my neighborhood after work. I stopped briefly at Doria's Deli for ham to buy hot ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner and chatted with one of the owners. He also just pulled out his winter clothes and agrees that we may have a few more random Indian summer days, but it's unlikely we'll get anything over the 70s, especially seeing how it hasn't gotten over 85 since early August.

Work was, thankfully after yesterday, no problem. My relief was late, but he's one of the kids who chronically is (he has a second job that he can't get away from easily) and I was able to get in and out with no problems.

No comments: