Sunday, October 12, 2008

Winners and Losers

I slept in today and had just enough time to eat breakfast and call the family before work. I got Daddy. He was just watching CNN while Mom got washed up; apparently, my little nephew Skylar had visited overnight and they were all tired out. Dad watches a lot of CNN when he's home. He says it's because he doesn't know what's going on when he's out fishing (he's a commercial fisherman) and wants to find out the news right away when he gets home. He also gave me a lot of flack about how the New York Giants are going to win tomorrow. We'll see. He's a huge Giants fan.

Work was busy today, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. We always have plenty of help on Sundays, and between the myriad major sports games this weekend, the many fall carnivals and parties, and people just having Columbus Day Weekend off, most folks were in a good mood. My relief was on time, and I was in and out with no problems.

I went straight over to Uncle Ken's after work. I had a nice time, talking with Uncle Ken, Dolores, Mark, Samantha, and her family while we watched the game. Uncle Ken made beef stew. Samantha brought a huge loaf of bread she made in her bread machine. I brought my chocolate cake. (The kids loved it.) Dad and Jodie came back from their vacation during half-time, and I got to have a nice chat with them, too. They apparently had a nice time in Florida. Jodie was attending a convention for Campbell's Soup in Miami Beach, so they got to stay in a really fancy hotel and do all the things the other wealthy guests did on the company payroll. They also visited old friends of Dad's further north in Ft. Lauderdale.

Oh yes, and though they were losing when I left, the Philadelphia Eagles came back to beat the San Fransisco 49ers 40-26. Mark was happy, too - the Green Bay Packers beat the Seattle SeaHawks 27-17.

Not all is well in the City of Brotherly Love, however. At press time, the Philadelphia Phillies are down 7-2 to the LA Dodgers.

No comments: