Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Last Time I Felt Like This

Began the morning by getting my finances in order, such as they are. I don't have much money in the bank right now. After I did that and put out my bills, I was able to get to the library after skipping it last week. The kids' storybook hour had just finished and everyone was busy, so I just did the children's DVDs and helped kids find titles. I eventually took out two October issues of Walt Disney Comics and Stories, the newest Backyardigans DVD, and the new Maisie Dobbs novel.

It was a lovely day again, sunny and chilly but this time windless. I took the long way home across Newton River Park, going straight home this time. I didn't have the money to stop anywhere. When I got home, I put my books upstairs and went back downstairs to take my recycling out. I took advantage of the lack of wind to rake the side path leading to my apartment and sweep my porch, both of which were heavily laden with golden and copper-colored leaves. I wanted to do the side path last Thursday, but I ran out of time before work. I'd had enough of tripping over those three little stumps near the side of the house.

I spent the rest of the afternoon working on a loaf of English Wholemeal Bread from my English baking cookbook, doing stuff online, and watching DVDs. I ran The Backyardigans while working on the bread and making Lemon Chicken with Curried Rice for dinner. That show is just so unbelievably creative. I can't believe the stuff they come up with. One episode had Tyrone and Pablo as a weatherman and an athlete in ancient Greece who go up to Mt. Olympus to ask God Austin and Goddesses Uniqua and Austin to stop raining on their basketball game, to the tune of samba music. Another has intergalactic travelers Zuniqua and Zablo working on Cowgirl Tasha's ranch to earn the fuel for their ship - blueberry pancakes! The cutest was their underwater take on National Velvet. Uniqua wants to race Tyrone on her little wild dolphin, but Tyrone doesn't think she has what it takes to beat a champion. Will her new friend's fear of clams upset their chances?

I enjoyed Vertigo during and after dinner. Whew, was that a mind-blower or what? Alfred Hitchcock was the master of messing with the mind, and I thought this would be a better (and less messy) place for me to start than Psycho or The Birds. Besides, who doesn't love James Stewart? I figured out something of what was going on about half-way through, but the ending was still amazing. Great imagery, too, especially Stewart's nutty animated/effects dream.

And...ergh. My tooth hurts again. I'm going to take some aspirin and swish with salt water after I get off here, but I wish it would stop doing this occasionally, so I could actually chew on my right side? :p

No comments: