Friday, October 23, 2015

You Do Something To Me

Started a sunny, cooler morning with writing. Victor meets Jeff after the Rebel Society meeting. Victor is trying to get information on the Shadow Realm and the Rebel Society for Brittanica. He once lead the Rebels, but gave it up when he "died" after Brittanica was bombed. He wants to know about the new "Leader" and the white crystals. He has to move on to Port Harbor - he'll meet Jeff there.

Went to work not long after that. Work was actually pretty quiet for most of the day. It did get mildly steady on and off. It's getting close to the beginning of the month, and we had a lot of fun people who were demanding or rude. Other than that, there were no major problems, and it was quiet enough when my shift ended for me to leave with no relief and no need for one.

Got my schedule during lunch. On one hand, I'm off at 7 almost all week except for Sunday, when I'm off at 4, and I have Wednesday and Thursday off again. Unfortunately, I only have slightly more hours than I did this week. Considering we haven't been that busy, I can actually understand why. Things should get busier after we get past Halloween (which is more of a party holiday than a big meal holiday) and people start thinking Thanksgiving.

I went online to write again briefly after I got in, then had leftovers for dinner while finishing Magic In the Moonlight. Woody Allen continues his exploration into France's past with this tale set in the French Riviera of the 1920's. Stanley (Colin Firth) is a popular magician and a rather obnoxious pessimist who doesn't believe in hocus-pocus. He spends his free time debunking supernatural claims. Then, he meets Sophie (Emma Stone), who claims to be a real psychic. He can't find any of the usual wires or fakery. Now, she has him believing in real magic...but there's a different kind of magic that's really at work, one that's found in the heart...

While not on the level of the last Allen pictures I saw (Scoop and Midnight In Paris), this is still a pleasant way to pass an hour and a half. I do wish Stanley hadn't switched back and forth between total belief and not believing at all so much, and yes, the romance at the end did seem forced. Still, if you like the cast or romantic comedies in historical settings, this is worth seeing at least once.

No comments: