Saturday, January 01, 2022

A Misty New Year

Began my first day of 2022 with breakfast and a quick episode of Doc McStuffins. Did the very first episode, "Knight Time." Doc borrows Sir Kirby the Knight from her brother to rescue Princess Lambie from Stuffy the Dragon, but he's dirty and keeps getting stuck to everything. After Doc discovers he's covered in jelly and pizza, she takes him in the bath with her...and teaches everyone the importance of good hygiene. Boppy the bopping bag dog gets "A Bad Case of the Pricklethorns" when he springs a leak twice. Doc finally reminds him to stay away from rose thorns and other sharp objects.

Headed off to work after that. They were surprisingly steady to busy for most of the day. I figured, if people weren't getting over last night, they'd be avoiding the weather. It was foggy and rainy even when I went to work at 9, and the rain continued off and on all day. I suspect it's the same deal as with the Christmas Eve crowds...and this time, not only is it the weekend, but it's the beginning of the month, too. 

Rose called during my lunch break around 1:45. Seems she gave Khai a self-test for Covid...and it came up positive, even though the rest of them didn't have it. She thinks he got it from me! Now I feel terrible. How could I have given a child the virus? I didn't have the more extreme symptoms of the virus. Even when I felt really terrible on Wednesday, I never lost my sense of taste or smell, was never nauseous or threw up, didn't have trouble breathing other than a slightly stuffy nose. The worst of it was the fever, and that was gone by Thursday morning. All I have left now is a slightly scratchy throat and a stuffy nose.

I felt absolutely horrible when I got home. Even the neighbors noticed it when I went by them. Even Jodie noticed it and texted me about it. My neighbor gave me a self-test, so I could figure it out for myself.

Thankfully, the test wasn't terribly complicated. It took a minute to set up, but it actually reminded me a of a mad scientist's lab. Kind of cool, really. I did it, then changed and heat up leftovers for dinner. 

By the time they were in the oven, I returned...and yes, it was positive. I should have known this would happen. I have no idea where I got it from. I wear a mask at work - company policy. Probably from one of the apartments I looked at. I'm kicking myself as hard as I can for not getting a booster shot sooner. I was going to make an appointment with the Acme to get one this week! I didn't think I had the time, with looking for an apartment and the holidays and everything. 

I'm not sure what to do now. I did quarantine for three (more like 2 1/2) days, but it's still positive and I do still have the sore throat and stuffy nose. I'll probably call work early tomorrow and see if I can take off the remaining two days for quarantine and if they'll pay me for that. (At least we're only supposed to isolate for 5 and not 14 days now!) 

Cheered myself up with dinner and Get Crazy. I go further into this wacky comedy about a New Year's Eve rock concert at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Finished the night at YouTube with Lawrence Welk New Year's episodes. New Year's 1966 started off with everyone singing "The Happiest" and ended with them performing "Let's Start the New Year Right" at a party. Jo Ann Castle really gets into "Happy Days are Here Again" on an upright piano covered in streamers, and we have Arthur Duncan, Bobby Burgess, and Jack Sheldon as the world's least-likely tap-dancing football team! (As Lawrence put it, "I guarantee you won't find anything like that in any of the Bowl games.") 

The 1970 show ran even harder with the Bowl game theme. Arthur Duncan lead a merry Rose Parade to "Before the Parade Passes By," and we get Bob Dole and Norma Zimmer as the King and Queen of the Rose Bowl Parade singing "Beautiful Ohio." Later, Lawrence introduces the real Queen of the Rose Bowl Parade and her court, while his daughter-in-law Tanya Falan Welk hopes "May You Always." We also get Bobby Burgess and Cissy King showing off 50 years of American dance crazes, from the Cakewalk to "Land of 1,000 Dances." 

Bobby got to show off an older dance step in the 1981 New Year's show, too, this time the Balboa with Elaine Nivenson. Dick Dale and Kathie Sullivan get a charming "Real Live Girl," while Lawrence waltzes with the real Rose Parade Queen and her court. "Fame" sounded awfully strange performed by Guy and Rawla; Mary Lou Metzger and Jack Imel did far better with their delightful tap routine to "The Hucklebuck." 

Bring in the New Year with Lawrence Welk and his musical family! (The 1981 show is the full original broadcast, complete with commercials.)

No comments: