Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Bad Day Rising

Started off the morning with breakfast and more new Daniel Tiger. "Daniel Gives a Gift" to Miss Elainia, a beaded bracelet he made himself. He wants to make one for him, too, but doesn't have enough beads. His mother points out he should appreciate the beads he has. Likewise, when Elainia ignores Dan's gift amid the pile she has, Lady Elaine reminds her to stop and appreciate the gift she was given. "Daniel Receives a Gift" from Grandpere, but can't help comparing it to his other things. Likewise, Katerina likes the bell on her scooter, but wishes she had a basket like Daniel. Their mothers remind them to appreciate what they have.

Hurried off to work just as Daniel Tiger ended...and I really wish I'd stayed home. I usually like bagging, but work was nothing but a pain today. I didn't start until 9:30 and we're supposed to sweep on the hour, so I already started late. Wanted to go on break a little early so I could get to sweeping before noon. Not only did I not get to sweeping before noon, but a manager sent me in for one of the cashier's breaks. I panicked when I had to deal with a man whose government card wasn't working. (And he's not the first one. This is the second time in less than a week those cards gave us trouble. The government apparently didn't tell anyone how to work them. Instead of being early to break, I ended up being late and getting upset. 

And I missed at least two times sweeping the store. I thought I swept at 2, but a manager said I didn't. I must have forgotten to log it in. We're supposed to log the sweeping twice, on the time clock and on a paper list. I don't know why we have to sweep at all, and certainly not once an hour. Once every two to three hours would be more than sufficient, especially on quiet days.

And truth of the matter is, I'm just plain tired. My knees hurt. I'm worn out. I had a hard time keeping up with the carts, even though we weren't that busy. The night manager ended up sending one of the stock boys out to to do the carts, so I could gather the overflowing trash.

Needless to say, I rushed home soon as I finished. Changed and got organized while watching Match Game '74. This one is from the only week Penny Marshall appeared on the show, more than three years before Laverne & Shirley started. She was mostly pretty quiet, but she did begin to warm up some by this point, even if she didn't appreciate Brett imitating her.

Had dinner while watching the Match Game Syndicated episodes. The first episode ended with Brett and Charles not getting any of David Doyle's impressions at all. They also teased him in the second episode, giving him "Pathetic Answer Awards" for his reply to the question about why Dumb Dora the interior decorator didn't like Red China...even though it wasn't really that dumb of a reply. 

Finished out the night after a shower with more episodes of The Muppet Show on Disney Plus, this time revolving around tough-guy actors. Alan Arkin drinks Bunsen's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde potion, turning him into a rampaging monster who destroys a group of bunnies' rendition of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." He recovers well enough to sing "Pig Shuffle" in the end, to Piggy's annoyance...but then Kermit drinks the potion!

James Coburn befriends another well-known tough critter in the fifth season - Animal. He's impressed after seeing Animal attack a trio of octopuses who were playing "Temptation" on the drums too slowly for the Muppet monster's taste. His attempts to help Animal find his center and the sudden arrival of a stereotypical Japanese dance troupe inspires them to change the western finale to a Japanese kabuki finale. The cowboys who were supposed to be in the number aren't crazy about that idea, and they all end up square dancing anyway. 

No comments: