Sunday, March 09, 2014

A Hint of Spring

Thanks to Daylight Savings, I didn't get up until 10:30 this morning. Brunch With the Beatles was devoted to Beatles songs, solo and together, that won awards. I came around in time for some of the later Beatles winners, which included "Something," "With A Little Help From My Friends," "Revolution," and "Let It Be."

Called Mom even before I ate breakfast. I wanted to catch her before she went outside to do her chores. Apparently, I caught her as she was coming in. She was in a very good mood. Dad was out fishing; Anny was taking advantage of unemployment money and help from her new boyfriend, a fisherman who may be taking over as captain of his ship, to spend more time with her sons. She went to a job fair at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, the boats that carry passengers from North Cape May to Lewes, Delaware. She was interviewed for a position as a customer service representative and ticket taker. She's really hoping to get the job. She said the interviewer seemed impressed with her, especially how she mentioned her years as a mother raising four children and doing many household jobs on her own when her commercial fisherman husband was at sea. I'm hoping for her, too. It'll be good for her to get out and talk to people and make her own money beyond Dad's.

She thinks seeing the neuropsychologist might not be a bad idea. Even if there's nothing wrong with me other than extreme shyness and sensitivity, it might help rule out some possibilities. She also gave me some explanation to some of my troubles. Evidently, I was a normal baby who did all the normal things babies did and developed normally...until the winter and spring of 1980, shortly before I turned one. Then, in rapid succession, Bruce and Mom split up (with him eventually going back to Florida), Mom had Rose, and Mom's mother Martha got very sick and was ultimately diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Mom said I was very close to Bruce and Grandma Martha for the first year of my life. Bruce used to take me everywhere and show me off to everyone he knew in the boatyard where we lived. I wish I could remember some of this. I do remember being fond of Grandma Martha, who was nice when she was well, but nothing else.

After that, Mom said I seemed to develop differently than Rose. My hand-eye coordination was a little slower. I didn't talk in full sentences until I was 4; I didn't really learn to tie my shoes until I was 9, and only because Dad-Bill and Mom pushed me into doing it. Rose tended to do all the talking for both of us for the first four years of my life, which didn't help. The high student turnover rate at Cape May Elementary, where Coast Guard kids would come and go, often after as little as a year, added to my continual feelings of abandonment. Being dumped by my only close boyfriend in an e-mail a year after I got out of college did my ego no favors, either.

I mulled over these things as I prepared a quick brunch of Gingerbread Pancakes with a half of grapefruit. I hurried out to WaWa to get a drink and change for the bus, then dashed down to Oaklyn's City Hall - it's easier to pick up the bus there. As it turned out, the rush was unnecessary. The bus was about 10 minutes late. It was pretty full, though I was able to find a seat. Otherwise, there was no traffic on the White Horse Pike, and no problems getting to Voorhees.

My trip to the Voorhees Town Center was much quicker than the one I made in December. I mainly just needed a few things at Boscov's. The big one was black work pants. Those darn pants I bought at Avenue were too tight and split in the front. From  now on, I spend the money and buy good pants for work. I picked up a pair of black Levi twill trousers for about $34.

The other big thing I needed was a new pair of slippers. The pair of Miss Piggy slippers Anny gave me four years ago for Christmas were faded and worn, and the satin lining on the insides were fraying badly. Dearforms were on sale for $9.99. I went with a really cute pair of ballet flats, made of cushiony-soft red material with sturdy soles and little satin bows on the toes. I also bought a pair of tan Goldtoe socks to replace the ones I bought about three years ago that were starting to go and a teal mock turtleneck that was on clearance for $6.99.

The Town Center was unusually busy. There was a huge Cub Scouts rally going on next to Pay/Half and the Boscov's entrance on the main floor. I think they were having some kind of race or soap box derby. I had to duck around parents watching their kids and head to the escalators near the food court to get downstairs.

My other interest in the Town Center was Hallmark. They're one of the few stores in Camden County that still carry a good selection of WebKinz. I wavered between the Rockerz Disco Poodle and the Flamingo. I finally went with the Poodle when I noticed he was on clearance for $10.50. (I'll get the Flamingo for my birthday - the receipt came with a 30% off coupon that's good from April 1st through the 19th.)

There really wasn't anything else that I needed in any of the stores. I just opted to head home early. I took the 3PM bus back to Oaklyn. Other than it was right on time, the ride was the same going home - full bus with no traffic. The bus let me off across from 7-11 a little over a half-hour later. I stopped quickly at 7-11 to get a much-needed drink (decided to try their new Diet Cherry Coke Frost Slurpee), then headed down West Clinton Avenue.

I was about to cross Manheim when a familiar white van stopped beside me. It was Jodie, on her way back from grocery shopping at the Acme. Jodie drove me to Dad's. I was there about a half-hour, enough to say "hi" to both of them and catch up with them and tell them what I was doing. I'd been meaning to get over there, anyway. I hadn't been to their house since the Super Bowl, and I can't remember the last time I went when it was just them.

When I finally got in, I spent the rest of the evening quietly. I put my new Rockerz Poodle on the site. His name is Prince. I know Prince debuted a couple of years after disco went out, but with his poofy curls and lowered lids, Prince does sort of look like the real thing. I haven't finished his room yet; it's going to be a collection of styles, mainly Rock and Modern. Naturally, he came with a disco dance floor; I may see if I can make my pets their own disco dance hall.

After I got bored with the WebKinz, I made roast chicken thighs in home-made balsamic dressing and vegetable soup (leftover tomato soup, home-made chicken stock, frozen green beans, and various vegetables that were sitting in my veggie drawer) for dinner. Listened to the greatest hits LPs for Tony Orlando and Dawn and Barry Manilow while I ate.

No comments: