Saturday, March 22, 2014

Balance On a Magic Carpet Ride

Started a sunny morning with the last two chapters of The Mummy's Case and this week's American Top 40 re-run. Casey hopped back a year to mid-March 1985, as pop, ballads, soul, and dance tunes dominated the charts. Hits that week included "Careless Whisper" by Wham!, "The Heat Is On" by Glenn Frey from Beverly Hills Cop, "Lover Girl" by Teena Marie, "One More Night" by Phil Collins, "Private Dancer" by Tina Turner, "Too Late For Goodbyes" by Julian Lennon, David Lee Roth's version of "California Girls," and "Material Girl" by Madonna. The #1 hit that week was one of the biggest for R.E.O Speedwagon, the ballad "Can't Fight This Feeling."

I spent the rest of the morning dusting the apartment, which needed it badly. Ran Easter specials and spring-themed cartoon episodes as I cleaned. The Easter Bunny Is Coming to Town is the last of the Rankin-Bass Easter specials, and the second devoted to the origins of the Easter Bunny. Here, the Easter Bunny is Sunny, who was adopted by the orphaned all-child residents of Kidville. He's determined to bring the kids' wonderful eggs to gloomy Town over the mountain, despite the laws passed by nasty Lady Lilly and the interference of grouchy Gadzooks the Bear.

Sunny wasn't the only animal having a busy spring. It's "Spring In Acme Acres" in the first-season Tiny Toon Adventures episode. The season of renewal brings thoughts of love with the wrong species, avoiding spring cleaning at Elmyra's house, and appearing on insane stunt-filled game shows to the Toons. It's spring in Jellystone Park as well on The Yogi Bear Show. Yogi's "A Wooin' Bruin" when he steals fancy gifts to impress Cindy Bear...until Ranger Smith catches on. Snagglepuss discovers that "Spring Has Hit a Snag" when the pink lioness of his dreams turns out to be a whiny brat who repeatedly asks him to risk his hide to get her berries. Duckling Yakky Doodle has more luck dodging an Alfred Hitchcock-imitating alligator in "Duck Seasoning."

One of the night managers asked me to come in an hour early today. Sure! It also meant I'd get to finish an hour earlier, which would give me more time to do my grocery shopping. Turns out they had their reasons. There were a LOT of call-outs, and we were very busy with people picking up food for birthday and March Madness parties. Thankfully, it had slowed down enough by 5 that I was able to shut down without a relief.

Which allowed me to go right into my shopping. My order was more expensive than huge. I had several big items that needed restocking, including all-purpose flour, yogurt, and eggs. Picked up chicken legs and that buy 1, get 1 spiced meat for meals sale, too. Grabbed more bananas and grapefruit. (The latter are now 4 for $5 after being a dollar each all winter, much to my disappointment.)

When I got home, I made "Cincinnati Chili" (chili with cinnamon and allspice and no beans) from Kit's Cooking Studio for dinner while I watched Aladdin to honor the opening of the stage version at the New Amsterdam on Broadway. The title character is a street urchin in the Arabian city of Agrahbah who may be a thief, but has a heart of gold. He's tricked into finding a lamp in a cave by the evil vizier of the sultan Jafar (Johnathan Freeman), who wants the lamp's power to take over the city. When he's trapped in a cave, Aladdin discovers that the lamp holds a shape-shifting, wisecracking genie (Robin Williams) who can grant him three wishes. Aladdin wants to win the heart of the rebellious Princess Jasmine, but fears she'll never love him if she knows he's a "street rat." When Jafar finally does get the lamp, it'll take all of Aladdin's cunning to rescue everyone and prove that even an urchin can be a "diamond in the rough."

Went straight into a short yoga session after dinner. I concentrated as much as I could on stretching my back. I've done a lot of sitting in front of a computer this week, and my back is sore. Hopefully, things will get better as the weather (and my schedule) stabilizes and I'm able to do more bike and walking trips.

No comments: