Thursday, March 27, 2014

Animal Crackers In My Hoagie

Rose called just as I was finishing the next chapter of The Lion In the Valley. We were going to have to take another rain check on yoga. She was called into work. That was fine. If I  had a dime for every time I was called into work and had to cancel plans, I'd be able to buy Yogawood. I had other things I wanted to get done today before the weather gets bad this weekend.

First on the list was the laundry. I didn't have a big load, but it had to be done, and I work too early and have too much to do tomorrow to do it then. I'm glad I did it today. It was really quiet, with only an older woman and a few college girls getting their loads done. I read Writing Fiction For Dummies while CNN continued to go into details on that Malaysian plane that disappeared. I was in and out in about an hour.

When I got home, I put everything away, then went right back out. I stopped at Amato Bros on the White Horse Pike for lunch first. I ordered a 6 inch "Mama's Turkey" hoagie (Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, turkey, bacon, Russian dressing), a can of Diet A&W Root Beer, and white chocolate-macadamia nut cookies. Enjoyed my lunch while listening to ESPN's Sports Center and watching people go back and forth, ordering hoagies or wraps for their own lunches.

The Library was surprisingly busy for 2PM when I arrived. The children's DVDs were a mess - you can tell no one organized them last week. Thankfully, they weren't overloaded, and I was able to get all titles, even the S sets, on the shelves. Was able to shelve all of the adult DVDs as well, and cleared out a few foreign and kids' titles. I ended up taking out a lot of DVDs for the first time I weeks. Shout!Factory just re-released some of the My Little Pony direct-to-DVD specials from the early-mid 2000s; I took out two sets, one with The Princess Promenade. Grabbed the newest Strawberry Shortcake set, Berry Big Help. Also went with three movies, the Shirley Temple vehicle Curly Top, Charlie Chan in Honolulu, and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

When I got home, I went right into the bath. Ahhh. That felt nice. I read a couple of books on the 30s I took out of the library and listened to my RCA/Victor 30s CD. I haven't had much of a chance to relax lately, besides working on my story. I passed a very pleasant hour there.

When I finally got out, I ran Curly Top while making baked chicken legs and a noodle casserole with mozzarella cheese, vegetables, and tomato sauce for dinner. One of Shirley Temple's most famous vehicles was a riff on the book and movies Daddy Long Legs. Here, we get two waifs for the price of one, as little Elizabeth (Temple) and her older sister Mary (Rochelle Hudson) are rescued from a strict orphanage by a kindly trustee (John Boles). The trustee falls for Mary, but she's being courted by a handsome pilot. Elizabeth does everything she can to bring the two together.

Not my favorite Temple vehicle, as the whole waif thing does get rather sugary. On the other hand, this one features two of Temple's most famous dance routines, the hit song "Animal Crackers In My Soup" and her tap number on top of a piano. Cute and simple; not actually a bad "starter" Temple film to bring little kids into her sunny world, or for adults to discover her, too.

No comments: