Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I Can (Almost) See Clearly Now

Started off the morning with a couple of Backyardigans episodes during breakfast. Uniqua wants to prove to Queen Tasha that she's worthy of being a real warrior (and eventually brings Pablo and Tyrone along for the ride) in "Knights are Brave and Strong." Uniqua, Pablo, and Tyrone go on a "Secret Mission" in a museum to return a mystery bone to its owner. They have to use all the spy gadgets and limbo skills at their disposal to get past the museum's security traps!

Work didn't start out so badly. It wasn't really busy this morning, while it was still cloudy and cool. Two classes of preschoolers came by on day trips. One group got to say "Thank you!" over the intercom. They were so adorable.

I wish all my customers were that cute. The nicer it got outside, the busier we got. By 2PM, we had very long lines of people who weren't able to get out during the storm yesterday (or had only just gotten out after partying yesterday). Although most customers seemed to be in decent moods, there were a couple that made me want to tear out my hair. One woman wanted at least eight gallons of Turkey Hill diet iced tea for $2 because the half-gallons that were a dollar weren't on the shelves. We DID have some in the back, but she couldn't be bothered waiting for them. She was in such a hurry! Later, another woman fussed at me because she was convinced that the 4 12-packs of Coke were 4 for 9 instead of 4 for 12. She thought the extra coupon took off from the 12 and refused to listen to reason - even when the customers in back of her tried to explain it! I had to go on break anyway, so I let a manager talk it out with her.

There was a mess getting out, too. I thought the manager said she would either go in for me or send another manager; the girl who was supposed to go in for me had to relieve one of the managers. Turns out she wanted me to shut down, which wouldn't have been possible with the long lines we had at 4PM anyway. She had to call a stock boy to finish my line.

I was stressed and tired and frustrated when I changed my shirt and finally headed to America's Best. The short ride and the nice day gave me a chance to compose myself. The morning's gloom had been replaced by bright sunshine, rapidly melting snow, and upper 40s temperatures by quarter after 4. Thankfully, after all the trouble at work, my eye exam went just fine. There was no one in the waiting room, and I only was only there for a few minutes. I had the same doctor I did last time, and pretty much the same result. The left eye was the same. The right eye had changed slightly, but not enough to change my prescription. I ordered my contacts and left.

Treated myself to dinner at Golden Corral, a buffet-style restaurant behind the America's Best/Pep Boys/Audubon Post Office building. I don't eat there often, but I didn't have much for lunch and was on that side of the mall anyway. I came in just as the dinner crowd was starting. I had a tasty salad with spring greens, carrots, and peas, pot roast (nice and juicy, but much too salty), their divine sweet potato casserole, sauteed mushrooms, and cheddar cheese drop biscuits. (The last-named weren't bad. I haven't had those since the last time I ate at the Red Lobster at the Hamilton Mall.) The raspberry cake with whipped topping I had initially tasted terrible, bland and dry. I opted for coconut macaroons dipped in their white and milk chocolate waterfalls and an icing-topped mini-brownie instead.

I called Mom when I got home. I didn't get a chance to talk to her yesterday, and I couldn't go to Rose's on Sunday. She enjoyed her trip up here with Anny and her boys and loved the card I brought her. She seemed to be in a pretty good mood; she was on her way to making dinner.

Since I already had dinner, I finished up the night in a desperately-needed bath. I looked over that book on the 20th Century I bought at a yard sale last summer and soaked in my rose-scented water as a jazz performer played in the background. It did help a little, but I'm still a bit frazzled. I'd feel better about the extra hours if they were more consistent...or if I could handle many of my customers better.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hey, Emma, TCM showed WHISTLING IN THE DARK tonight. Really enjoyed it!!!