Monday, March 24, 2014

I'll Be With You In Cherry Blossom Time

I opened my eyes when the alarm went off at 7:30. I closed them for just a few seconds. Naturally, "just a few seconds" turned into more than an hour. I didn't get to breakfast and a couple of episodes of Sailor Moon until past 9:30. The Sailor Soldiers are celebrating "Cherry Blossom Time" in this episode from the early second season. The aliens Ann and Allan consider the Cherry Blossom Festival to be a great time to collect energy. When they use one of their "cardian" monsters to absorb energy from the girls, Serena finds a way to upgrade her powers and decide just what she's fighting for.

Raye is in charge of her school's fair and talent concert in "Raye's Day In the Spotlight." She wants to turn the stage program into a show for her not-inconsiderable musical ability. Raye gets her wish and her time in the spotlight, until a cardian appears to steal the show.

I tried to do a little work on the fourth story in my series today, but I wasn't getting far. I was stalled introducing the villain, the evil Queen Julia. I couldn't figure out a way to bring her in that wasn't boring. I ended up browsing online instead before heading to work.

Work was on-and-off busy all afternoon. They're calling for snow once again, but it sounds like the same deal as last week - an inch or two of snow at night, maybe slight delays during the morning, then gone by the next day or the day after. It's supposed to be in the 60s by Friday! It's March. Even if we do get some snow, it won't be the big deal it was last month. Other than the fuss, there were no major problems, and I was able to shut down with no relief.

I even worked something out in my head. My story was stalled because my main character was in the wrong occupation. I'm not a queen; I know nothing about politics, nor am I interested in them. It'll only require slight re-writes to change Queen Kathleen into Kathleen Renner, a frustrated grocery store clerk who longs for adventure and a better life. I'll be keeping the 30s/fantasy setting, the "diesel punk" Art Deco feel, and the romance between Kathleen and a mysterious mercenary woodsman. One character will remain queen, albeit of an extremely laid-back island community that's supposed to be a cross between Wildwood, Jamaica, and 30s Coney Island. The others will be given more normal professions.

I had a surprise waiting for me when I got in. I won one of the harder-to-find Kit outfits, her limited-edition "Scooter Outfit" from the mid-2000s, on eBay last week. I've always liked this one. It's so cute. It's a sleeveless sundress in an adorable orange floral print that's supposed to look like it was made from a flour sack, with a ruffled skirt and a lovely "straw" cloche hat and darling yellow shoes. (It didn't come with the socks that were also a part of the outfit, but I have plenty that'll work, including the ones I got with Kit's School Outfit from the big AG sale.)

I'm making my way through my adventure movies and comedies that are either set in the 30s or were filmed then. The Phantom is based after the popular comic books from the 1930s. The title character is one of the earliest super heroes, here a Batman-type in purple spandex who follows a long line of do-gooders who protect a mystical jungle island (Billy Zane). An evil tycoon (Treat Williams) is determined to find three lost skulls that will give the bearer unlimited power. Diana Palmer, the globe-trotting niece of a wealthy newspaper owner (Kristy Swanson), is after the story of the man in purple who seems to be impervious to death. A band of female pirates (headed by Catherine Zeta-Jones) is after the treasure, too. It all comes together in an action-packed Indiana Jones-esque climax that reveals just how great a responsibility too much power can be.

No comments: