Friday, March 14, 2014

A Day In the Wind

I slept in a bit this morning; read The Mummy's Case, then wrote in my journal for a while and fended off telemarketers. When I finished the journal, I had a quick breakfast of orange muffins and grapefruit sections while watching more Sailor Moon. After that, I went online for about an hour to take a look at my paycheck for this week. I noticed that American Girl was having a big sale on their site. I ended up buying two outfits that were on sale that I'd wanted - the Hiking Outfit for Jessa and Whitney to share, Kit's original blue School Outfit for Jess, Whitney, and Molly to share, and the new "Limited Edition" Kit's Candy Making Outfit for Whitney for Easter. (The smaller items in that set will be used for Easter decorations.)

It was cloudy this morning, but the clouds were breaking up as I headed out for today's errand run in Westmont. The wind from yesterday remained, however, which still made it feel a bit chilly. After a quick stop at the WaWa to use the ATM machine, I went to the Westmont Bagel Shop for lunch. I wasn't that hungry, so I stuck to creamy chicken soup with rice and half of a tuna salad sandwich for lunch. The tuna salad was ok, nothing out of the ordinary, but the soup was delicious. It was nice and thick and rich, with lots of wild rice pieces. I ate all of the soup and most of the sandwich. I'm  not a fan of potato chips; didn't even bother opening the bag that was there.

Next up was a quick stop around the corner at Dollar Tree. I mainly needed to restock sponges. Bought a pack of four regular sponges and six round scrub sponges. My friend Kelly's birthday is today, and Mom's is next week - I got cards for both. Bought a container of the strawberry preserves that uses regular sugar I love, and milk bath for the next time I have the time for a bath.

It was sunny and beautiful by the time I made it to the Haddon Township Library. Surprisingly, they were pretty busy for what was turning out to be a beautiful day. There were lots of DVDs to shelve and organize. The adult section wasn't really that bad, but the kids' shelves were a mess. Nothing was where it was supposed to be, and for once, there was plenty of room for everything. I even found a Sesame Street disc that had somehow wound up on the A-G shelf without a case; a librarian later confirmed that someone had tried to take out a title but the disc was missing. I debated taking out some DVDs, but ultimately decided that, the way my schedule's been lately, I probably won't have the time to watch them.

When I got home, I just grabbed my laundry and went right back out to the White Horse Pike. I really needed to get the laundry done. Thankfully, it wasn't quite as big of a load as last week. It was busy when I came in, quiet by the time I finished. CBS News blared reports of a possible snow storm on Monday. (Even if we do get any snow from this storm, it also sounds like it's going to go right back to being in the 40s and 50s by Tuesday. I doubt it'll be around for longer than a day or two, at most. Most people will probably just worry about their commute.)

When I got home, I made leftovers for dinner while watching A Day At the Races. The second Marx Brothers movie at MGM is one of their best-regarded, and features some of their most famous routines. Chico and Harpo work at a failing sanitarium and need to keep their wealthiest client (Margaret Dumont) from leaving. She insists on having Dr. Hackenbush (Groucho) examine her. When Hackenbush arrives from Florida, his methods prove to be dubious at best, and for a good reason - he's a veterinarian. While he tries to avoid the man who wants to buy the sanitarium and the sheriff, Chico, Harpo, and their friend Gil (Alan Jones) attempt to bring a horse Gil's bought up to racing condition. When Gil enters the horse in a steeplechase competition to earn the money for the sanitarium, the Marx Brothers become determined to make sure it wins...by any means necessary!

Some too-long musical numbers slow down what is otherwise a fun Marx Brothers movie. Some of the "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm" sequence may be considered offensive today (especially when the brothers briefly end up in blackface themselves). The slower pace makes this more for fans than casual viewers; newcomers will want to start with A Night at the Opera, the previous Marx movie.

No comments: