Monday, March 17, 2014

White St. Patrick's Day

Top of the evenin' to all of ye! I hope those of you who celebrate it had a fine St. Patrick's Day!

Yes, there was snow on the porch when I got up this morning. However, it was very much spring snow. The flakes were light and fluffy. They moved easily when I opened my front door. A good wind would have sent the majority of it to Canada. The streets weren't even really covered. I think most schools here were either on delay or just opened normally.

I watched the few Irish-themed shorts I have during breakfast. Porky Pig has a close encounter of the surreal kind with a vengeful pack of leprechauns who think they're after his pot of gold in "Wearin' of the Grin." Woody Woodpecker has his own trouble with the wee folk when a leprechaun gives him three wishes that get him into nothing but trouble in "His Better Elf."

I spent most of the morning working on my story and watching the snow fall. It actually stopped for a while, then started again around 10:30. It felt very peaceful, typing away while the snow came down and the birds chattered outside.  I'm now about half-way through my third story. I intend this to be a series of stories about the adventures of Queen Kathleen and the kingdoms by the sea. I'm hoping to continue it for as long as I have ideas for stories. The problems with my solo fanfiction is I tend to fall out of interest in the fandom before I can finish stories or series. With so many of the ideas here drawn from my real life, it should be a little harder to fall out of interest.

Ran two Backyardigans episodes with snow settings as I had beef, spinach, and mushroom stir-fry for lunch. Mounties Tyrone and Pablo guard "The Snow Fort" and the giant snowball it protects. They think there's someone outside that's after their snowball, but it's really just ski patrol members Tasha and Uniqua. The quartet spend the episode missing each other as they run around the fort, trying to find the intruders or the people who need rescuing. Then, Pablo leads Tasha, Tyrone, and Uniqua on a chilly chase through the Frozen North. Uniqua thinks they're following the tracks of "The Yeti"; Tasha is equally insistent that there's no such creature.

The roads were so clear by noon, I had no problems taking the bike to work. No one else had any problems getting where they were going, either. We were steady but not overwhelmingly busy all afternoon and evening, except during the usual 4 to 6 rush hour. There were a few annoying customers, and the first register I went in broke down and I had to move to the next one just two minutes after I arrived. Otherwise, there were no major problems, and I was in and out.

No comments: