Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Day Before the Storm

I started out this morning by checking the weather reports. At that point, it was still just rain and snow, not a significant amount. I was on for an hour and had just gotten off when Rose called. Our sister Anny, her sons, and Mom were coming up here today to celebrate Mom's birthday. Rose told me ten days ago. She wasn't even sure if we were going to do it at that point. I like to have two weeks or more when I ask off for work; not to mention, there were enough people asking for time off this week as it is. When I got off with her, I listened to Brunch With the Beatles ("Songs That Came Out In the Spring" was the theme today) and had a quick meal of Buttermilk Whole Wheat Pancakes and grapefruit before I headed to work.

Work was very, very busy all day. First of all, we're short handed, thanks to all the people who had off this week. Second, Sunday is normally busy anyway. Third, the weather reports had gotten worse since I looked them up this morning. As of press time, it's back to all snow, though just an inch or two. It's supposed to be in the mid-30s tomorrow - we may not even get that. It was so busy, I just got off in time with no relief.

When I got home, I made Lemon-Orange Cookies with lemon cake mix and orange juice and had avocado-cherry tomato salad and sauteed flounder for dinner while watching Whistling In Dixie. The second Whistling movie takes us to Georgia, where radio detective Wally "The Fox" Benton (Red Skelton) and his fiancee Carol (Ann Rutherford) have accepted a distress call from a college friend of Carol's (Diana Lewis). She's worried that the guy who was studying in the old fort on her father's property may have been killed. While Wally and Carol help her figure out what the scholar was up to, Sylvester, one of the thugs Wally put in jail in the first film (Rags Ragland), is after Wally...and intends to use his good-guy twin brother Chester (also Ragland) to put him out of commission.

Other than some bad southern accents, the second go-around for The Fox was just as much fun as the first, with a great sequence in a vault filling with water, some great spooky atmosphere, and an even more interesting mystery involving Confederate treasure. Lots of fun for fans of Skelton or comic mysteries.

No comments: