Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Snow In the Spring

Actually, it was sunny when I woke up this morning, and sunny through the early afternoon. I was continuing the re-writes on my story when Rose called. I asked her a few days ago if she wanted to go to yoga today. She couldn't do it today...but she was willing to try it Thursday morning. That worked out even better. I'm off Thursday. I can just do yoga with her before I hit the laundromat and the Haddon Township Library, which were my only plans for that day.

I watched some Rick Steves Europe while having the last of the leftover chili for lunch. Scandinavia was the focus as Rick explored the laid-back lifestyle of Sweeden, Finland, and Denmark. His trips to Copehagen and the surrounding islands are some of my favorites of the entire series. Everything is so bright and clean and cozy, like something out of a Hans Christian Anderson story.

Work was mostly pretty quiet through the usual 4PM rush hour, after which the lines just got crazy. We were supposed to be getting about an inch or two of snow. Supposedly, it wouldn't stick on the roads until well after nightfall. It must have finally started coming down around 5PM or so; it still wasn't snowing when I went on my break at 4. Rose called me four times to tell me she would be driving me and my bike home. The roads were just wet, but the snow was coming down pretty well and visibility was low.

When I got in, I did some more Rick Steves while making French Toast Pizza with sliced cherry tomatoes for dinner. Rick went from Denmark to Berlin, the capital of Germany. Split into East and West (and Capitalist and Communist) sections during my childhood, it was reunited in 1989. I vividly remember watching the destruction of the Berlin Wall on TV when I was about 10. While Berlin today is a fairly modern and unified city, it still has some remains of its troubled past, including bits of a World War II bunker, a stretch of the Wall that's been turned into an outdoor art gallery, and a beautiful old church that was bombed during World War II and left standing as a memorial to the destruction wars can cause.

(Oh, and at press time, the snow is still coming down...but it's only sticking to parts of the porch that aren't covered by trees, and not to the street at all. We'll see how things go.)

No comments: