Sunday, March 23, 2014

Beginnings of the Spring Holidays

Started a cloudy morning with The Lion In the Valley (the next Amelia Peabody book I'm reading), Carrot-Spice Pancakes, and Brunch With the Beatles. The US-only Beatles Second Album was in the spotlight today. Don't worry, until I started listening to this show, I never heard of this album, either. Capitol apparently cobbled it together from earlier releases. It's main features were remakes of early rock hits, including "Money (That's What I Want)," "Shout," and "Roll Over Beethoven." Because it's also the shortest Beatles album at a little under a half-hour, they threw in a couple of tracks from a few early concerts to fill out the show.

After I cleaned up from breakfast, I decided it was finally time to take down the St. Patrick's Day decorations and put up the Easter stuff. I have a few more things for Easter than I did last year. Mom gave me some of her Easter decorations that she didn't want when I visited her in the fall. Her pretty quilted egg-shaped table runner went on the dining area table. The resin figure of the bunny holding the gardening tools went next to the small shelf with the rock CDs. The beautiful raffia garland with wooden painted eggs hanging off of it was hung on the window overlooking the path to the apartment. The mini-garland with the tiny wooden eggs, birds, and bunnies was draped around the top of the baker's rack. Two wooden cut-out tulips on raffia were hung on bare nails around the apartment. There's a few more tulips and eggs left; I'll see if I can find some ribbon to hang them up in the next few weeks.

I went to work shortly after finishing the decorations. Work was very busy all afternoon, which isn't uncommon on a Sunday. There's March Madness going on, along with a lot of birthdays. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 5:30 that I was able to leave with no relief.

When I got home, I put Italian breaded chicken cutlets, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts in the oven to bake for dinner and called Mom. She was mostly in a pretty good mood. She had Anny and Skylar visiting when I tried to call earlier. She was a little annoyed that my brother Keefe had just called her from the Navy in Norfolk a few days ago and declared that he's coming to visit for two weeks. That would be great....if this wasn't late March. There just isn't much to do in Cape May County at this time of the year. Mom says he'll probably be there for five days, tops, before getting bored and leaving.

I went right in the bath after I finished eating. Ahhh, that felt sooo nice. My back is a little stiff from all the computer work I did last week. I really need a new computer chair. I've had the old one since I moved in. It moves stiffly now, and the vinyl is a cracked, broken mess. Dad said he had a chair I might be able to have; I'll have to ask him about that.

No comments: