Thursday, March 06, 2014

Play Time With My Nephew

Started out the day with breakfast and a phone call from my sister Rose. She wanted to know if I would babysit Khai again today, until his dad came home. She had to go to a meeting. Sure! I enjoyed it the last time I watched him. He's a really cute kid.

I spent the rest of the morning doing computer stuff and watching more Three Stooges cartoons. Two fantasy spoofs highlighted the last round of shorts on disc 3. "Peter Panic" spoofs Peter Pan, with Moe as the title character, Curly Joe as Tinkerbell, and Larry as Wendy. They're "Three Jacks and A Beanstalk" when the beans Curly Joe bought turns out to be the way up to a giant's castle. The boys are engineers on "The Transylvania Railroad" who are kidnapped by Count Dunkula. They do their best to escape and avoid being the Count's next cocktail! "That Dirty Bird" proves to be a nuisance when he won't get off the pole the Stooges are painting. And they have to outwit grungy biker Melvin, before his band of "Mel's Angels" roar into town to wreck havoc.

Work was once again busy, despite it being chillier today. People were probably just trying to get the sales before they end (our new sales start on Friday).  I did get one very good thing today. The union was handing out checks for the money they owe us from their strike fund. I got $450! I'll ride over to Collingswood to deposit it tomorrow.

I rode straight to Rose's house when I got out of work. As it turned out, her boyfriend came home early, and I didn't really need to babysit. I still stayed for dinner, since I was already there. Khai's big thing right now is dinosaurs. He showed me the Magic School Bus Dinosaurs game he had on his LeapFrog 2 pad, his cool dinosaur shirt (with three different carnivorous dinosaurs on it), and his dinosaurs that can turn into vehicles (including the Tyrannosaurs he got for Christmas that can move around on voice commands and turn into a dump truck). We played the Cars 2 game on Rose's iPad again.

We watched a relatively new Nickelodeon show called Paw Patrol as we played. The simple but cute premise has a group of dogs, lead by a young boy, being called out to do various rescues. It's always the German shepard police puppy and one other dog - a pug who drove a bulldozer, and a cocker spaniel who acted as a pilot in a helicopter in the episodes we saw. (And for some reason, the poor dalmatian puppy always knocks the others over before they go upstairs to their base.) The first episode had the crew stopping a monkey who took off in a grocery's truck and saving an owlet's mama who was stuck in a falling tree. The second was snow themed - the gang rescued two kids who were stuck on a cliff and went to see if the rumors about a snow monster were really true.

We had dinner after that. Rose made a delicious chicken stir fry with asparagus, broccoli, and real ginger. Khai had white rice; Rose and I had brown. Khai and I also had peas. Khai swore he could manage Rose's chopsticks, but he's a little young to pull off eating rice with them. Rose eventually got them back. I'm terrible with chopsticks, so I passed.

Rose was going to drive me home after Craig arrived, but my bike wouldn't fit in her car. That was fine. I'm only a few streets away. It was bitterly cold as I dodged kids coming out of dance classes at Ovations on West Clinton and cars coming home from late work.

No comments: