Sunday, June 09, 2019

Dolls on a Quiet Day

Today was my second early work day in a row. Pretty much the same deal as yesterday. I did some returns, rounded up trash and recycling, and helped a very sweet older lady to her car, but I was mostly gathering carts again. I didn't want to be anywhere else. It was a gorgeous day, sunny, windy, warm, and dry, not nearly as hot has it has been.

Once again took the long way home down Nicholson Road. The Acme had been busy for most of the afternoon, and they were a little busy, too. I saw people streaming out of the Hispanic church a few blocks from the shopping center. The wind whistled through my hair as I went over the hill and into Oaklyn.

As soon as I got home, I made blueberry lemon pancakes and the last of the turkey bacon for lunch. Both came out beautifully. The pancakes cooked just right. I enjoyed my lunch while listening to New Moon. The Desert Song yesterday put me in the mood for more romantic Hammerstein/Romberg operettas. The recording I listened to today was by Al Goodman and His Orchestra with Earl Wrightson and Frances Greer. The story of a French noble passing as a bond servant who falls for the daughter of a planter features two of Romberg's best ballads, "Softly, As In a Morning Sunrise" and "Wanting You," and one of their most famous male chorus numbers, "Stout-Hearted Men."

Switched to changing the dolls into their summer clothes after lunch. Samantha looks lovely in the white lace dress with the pink bows that was originally sold for Rebecca. Jessa wears the pink, yellow, and purple t-shirt from the 2012 Hiking Outfit with the Earth Day overalls, while Ariel is in the tie-dye Earth Day t-shirt and jean shorts from a doll booth at a craft show. Josefina gets her lovely brick and tan Weaving Outfit and beige fringed moccasins. Molly's birthday pinafore has short ruffled sleeves, making it more appropriate for summer than April. Whitney's white and pastel polka-dot dress was originally advertised as being for Molly on eBay, but the full skirt and sleeves make it more appropriate for 50's-60's era Whitney (pairedwith a ruffled slip from another eBay outfit). Felicity's in a full, heavy white dress with deep blue cabbage roses.

Listened to Girl Crazy while I worked on the dolls. Mary Martin did this studio cast recording of the 1930 Gershwin musical in the 1950's. I wish they'd gotten a cowboy trio to sing "Bidin' My Time"; Martin sings it herself here, for some reason. Other than that, it's a lot of fun, with a couple of rarities like "The Lonesome Cowboy" that didn't make it into the later stage version of this story, Crazy for You.

Worked on writing after I finished with the dolls. Luke, in the guise of The Jedi Knight, rescues reporter Mara Jadeson from certain death over a vat of bubbling chemicals. He admonishes her to go warn the cops about the theft. Meanwhile, Harris has managed to free himself from Fettson...but it may take more than even they can handle to keep the bounty hunters from taking off in their truck...

Broke for dinner at 6. Since I did Girl Crazy earlier, I switched to another vintage Gershwin show, Oh Kay!, while I had leftover chicken legs and sauteed yellow squash and tomatoes. This is another studio album, this time with comedienne Barbara Ruick as the title character, the sister of a gun runner (Jack Cassidy) who is using a playboy's mansion to hide his liquor in. Things get really complicated when the playboy comes home, intending to marry. It's silly, but some of the Gershwins' most popular songs can be found here, including "Do, Do, Do," "Fidgety Feet," "Clap 'Yo Hands," and "Someone to Watch Over Me."

Did Lego Pirates of the Caribbean after dinner. This time, I was able to run through three rounds. Did the best on "The Flying Dutchman," taking half the time I did previously on that round and picking up at least 7 pieces. Didn't get too many pieces on "Smuggler's Run," but I did get True Pirate.

Finished the night with YouTube. I've enjoyed watching the shows on Buzzr so much, I thought I'd look up other game shows I had fond memories of that either aren't currently on the channel, or only run when I'm busy doing other things during the day. Here's hoping they bring back as many memories for all of you as they did for me!

Name That Tune (mid-80's)
Classic Concentration (1987)
Blockbusters (1987)
Tic Tac Dough (1980)
High Rollers (1987)
High Rollers (1979)
Hollywood Squares (1978)

No comments: