Saturday, June 15, 2019

Harvests and Yard Sales

Kicked off a beautiful, sunny Saturday with breakfast and two cartoons about Popeye and his dad, Poopdeck Pappy. "Goonland" has Popeye going against the strange creatures to rescue his dad, who isn't exactly happy to see him. "My Pop, My Pop" wants to build a ship on his own. Popeye insists on helping out, especially given Pappy keeps dozing off.

Spent the next couple of hours riding around, checking out Oaklyn's Town-Wide Yard Sale. It was a beautiful day for it, sunny and breezy, warmer than yesterday but not too hot. My first stop was the home of my former landlords Linda and Andrew. They had some really nice pans I ended up buying. The Paula Dean pans Jodie and Dad gave me a few years ago are badly dented, scratched, and flaked. I suspect Jodie bought them because they had Paula Dean's name on them and she loves her, not due to their quality. I took the pans back down the block to my place, then went right back out.

Around 10:30, I rode over to the Collingswood Farm Market to pick up produce. Even at quarter of 11, they were teeming with people looking for produce for their Father's Day barbecues and graduation parties. Cherries, patty-pan squash, spring cabbages, cauliflower, and broccoli, tomatoes, and New Jersey blueberries are out now. I just grabbed blueberries, cherries, snap peas, and mushrooms.

Made a stop at WaWa for money and a Perrier Peach sparkling water, then resumed my ride. Along with the pans, this was my best yard-sale day since the Audubon town wide yard sale in late March. Found The Sting, the Mary Martin TV version of Peter Pan, and the first and second seasons of Star Wars: Clone Wars on DVD. Grabbed two cookbooks from the Oaklyn Library's annual book sale. One turned out to have too many organic and fancy recipes for my budget, but I'll definitely use Hershey's 1934 Chocolate Cookbook. Got a K-Tel collection and a jazz/vocalist collection on records. Picked up a coffee-table book on stage musicals from an enthusiastic young mother who said she was not only a fellow musical lover, but makes occasional appearances with local theaters, including the Ritz in Oaklyn.

I didn't get home until past 1:30, and I was bushed when I made it. Finished out the Pappy/Popeye shorts while having a blueberry-banana-cucumber smoothie for lunch. "With Poopdeck Pappy" and "Problem Pappy" are both variations on "Pappy wants to go out, but Popeye says he needs his rest." "Quiet, Pleeze!" has Popeye silencing every noise in town so his hungover dad can get some rest.

Despite being dead tired, I couldn't put it off anymore. I really needed to get my laundry done. I'm glad I did it when I did. Once again, it wasn't very busy when I arrived. Only two other people were there, and two more would come later. Good thing they weren't busy (and the other women were using the larger washers). I had a huge load I needed to get done, including the spring/fall sheets.

When I finally got home from that, I went straight into writing. Luke's about to fly home when he tells Harris he sees something in the hills. Harris warns him to be careful. Luke says it won't take very long, but he's about to get an eye-opener on that...

I was too tired to really write for long. I broke for a dinner of leftover hot dogs and steamed snap peas. Played Lego Pirates of the Caribbean after I ate. Got through White Cap Bay this time. While having the mermaid allowed me to get a lot more pieces (including underwater), there's one area behind the tower I just can't seem to get to. Can't swim to it - a shark eats anyone who tries. Can't jump down to it. I did manage to get five more pieces and True Pirate off this one, though.

Finished the five-part Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers pilot "To the Rescue" (which I'd started at lunch) as I got organized. Chip and Dale used to hang around the police office with a police bulldog they admired named Duke. When Duke and his human are framed by a gangster and his fat, obnoxious cat that is believed to be dead, they leap into action! They pick up Monterrey and Zipper after Fat Cat inadvertently sinks their home, and Monty leads them to Gadget, the daughter of an old friend. The group now has to figure out what Fat Cat and his owner want with a huge ruby and Professor Nimnal and his crazy contraptions, and why he took tons of ice from the Arctic.

Ended the night with an old favorite of mine, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, for father's day. I go more into this fantasy about a flying car and the inventor who repaired it at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

No comments: