Friday, June 28, 2019

Hot Day In the Sun

Kicked off the morning with breakfast and the Clone Wars second season opener, "Holocron Heist." Ahsoka is upset when she's taken off the front lines and is ordered to guard the Jedi Library. Her new job is a lot more exciting than she thought when she finds a shapeshifting alien who can turn himself into a Jedi. He's working with notorious bounty hunter Cad Bane to steal a certain "holocron," a crystal helix holding Jedi secrets. Ahsoka and Anakin try to stop him from selling it to the Imperials in "Cargo of Doom."

I had to get my laundry done today, especially my work clothes. I picked the right day. There were a few people there when I arrived, but it wasn't too busy. The TV wasn't even on. Worked on my story notes in peace. I didn't have a really huge load; I was in and out in less than an hour.

Put everything away, then had a quick smoothie lunch while continuing Clone Wars. Cad Bane wanted the holocron to find "Children of the Force" and bring them to the Sith. Ankin and Ahsoka go after the kids, while Mace Windu and Obi-Wan try to find Bane and the holocron.

Headed out to work quickly after I finished eating. I did get stuck in the register for the first 40 minutes; there was a call-out. Everything went fine after that. Gathered outside trash and recycling and helped a woman to her car, then spent the rest of the hazy, sunny, killer hot day alternating between rounding up carts outside and shelving items inside when I got too hot. We had plenty of help and no problems whatsoever.

I'm actually pretty happy with my schedule next week. I do work on the 4th of July this time, but it's 8 to 2. I'll live with missing Oaklyn's parade if I can go to Dad and Jodie's party and the fireworks. And the 4th is the only early day next week; I work 11:30 and 10 the rest of the time. Tuesday and next Friday and Saturday off.

I didn't need a lot of groceries, but I did pick up some expensive things that were on sale. I won't be getting to the Collingswood Farm Market tomorrow, so I bought peaches, cherries, and blueberries. Domino's Dark Agave Nectar was on clearance; I might be able to use that. It's too hot to bake, so I bought breakfast cookies and graham crackers (the latter were on a really good sale). A new probiotic pint ice cream was on sale and had a coupon. Restocked skim milk, butter, yogurt, peanut butter, apple sausage, aluminum foil, parchment paper, and a bag (I forgot mine at home).

Finished out "Senate Spy" when I got home and started putting everything away. Padme offers to spy on her fellow senator Rush Clovis, who is suspected of aiding the Separatists. She'd once dated him, but though she's no longer interested, Anakin is still jealous and goes along as a bodyguard. When Padme is poisoned, he has to press a reluctant Clovis to get him the antidote.

"Landing at Point Rain" lands us in the thick of war as Ahsoka, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Jedi master Ki-Adi-Mundi follow the information from Clovis to Geonosis, where they discover a huge droid factory. Luminara Unduli and her padawan Bariss Offee joins in for "Weapons Factory." Ahsoka begs for more responsibility. Anakin sends her and Bariss to take down the factory while they distract the Separatist army.

Decided I was too tired to work on stories and played Lego Pirates of the Caribbean instead. I'm almost 90 percent done now. Completing "The Maelstrom" finished off At World's End and got me a gold brick for that round. Also finished "A Touch of Destiny," "The Fountain of Youth," and "A Spanish Legacy" and got all but one piece on "The Black Pearl Attacks." Tried "Queen Anne's Revenge," but it glitched and I had to start over.

Finished the night after a shower with Radioland Murders. A thunderstorm moved in while I was playing video games, so I thought it was the perfect night for a mystery. It's 1940, and radio station WBN from Chicago is launching coast-to-coast. The audience may love the mix of soap operas, action shows, and Rick Rochester (Michael McKean) and his Orchestra's numbers, but what's going on behind the scenes isn't as amusing. Writer Roger Henderson (Brian Benben) is trying to convince his wife Penny (Mary Stuart Masterson) that he wants her back, despite having an affair with the manager's sexy Mae West-esque wife Claudette (Anita Morris).

Throughout the night, someone broadcasts messages insisting that a member of the staff is going to die...and Roger somehow manages to be there every time another person dies, to the annoyance of Chicago cop Lieutenant Cross (Michael Lerner). Roger has to dodge Cross, figure who whodunnit, and still somehow manage to get his scripts on the air...if he can keep from falling out windows and down stairs long enough to make it to the end of the broadcast day!

Comic mystery from the early 90's has a poor reputation, but it's not really that bad. The first half, when the emphasis is on the music and the shows, is fast and funny. The emphasis on farce and slapstick in the second half really drags things down and makes the plot harder to follow. The music is great, and a cast of familiar faces (including Christopher Lloyd as the German special effects man, Ned Beatty as the militant owner, and Corbin Bernson as the announcer who is constantly smoking) makes the most of the material.

This has been a favorite of mine since I first found the video in the early 2000's. If you love the movies of this era or are a fan of the cast or real-life old time radio, you'll want to give WGN another hearing.

No comments: