Thursday, June 13, 2019

Rangers In the Rain

It was pouring when I awoke this morning. I waited for the rain stop while eating breakfast and watching the strangest episode Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers ever did, "The Case of the Cola Cult." The Rangers do indeed stumble onto a mouse cult that worships soda. Gadget, upset that her inventions haven't been working out, joins the cult. The others think there's more to it than that, especially when one of the members comes to them and admits that something doesn't seem right, and follow her.

The rain was just slowing down when I arrived at work. I was wet when I got in. By the time I made it outside to do carts, the rain was gone. It was pretty much the same deal as yesterday. I did gather trash and baskets and do some returns, but I was mainly outside with the carts. Fine by me. It was still humid and windy, but that kept it from getting too hot.

Picked up a few things after work. I've been wanting this month's Vanity Fair coverage of The Rise of Skywalker ever since I first heard about it over a month ago; the Acme finally got it over the weekend. People were reorganizing the candy and cereal aisles, leaving tons of carts filled with now-discontinued candies, cereals, and granola bars. I grabbed another box of those tasty Kashi Cashew Macaroon granola bars, treated myself to two big Reeses cups filled with Reeses Pieces, and picked up eggs while they were still on sale.

Once I got home, I changed, then made a Banana-Blueberry-Cucumber Smoothie for lunch while continuing with Rescue Rangers. "Throw Mummy From the Train" has the Rangers on vacation in Egypt. Dale's obsessed with finding souvenirs, but his wanting to take everything he sees home gets him into trouble when a ring gets stuck around him. Turns out the ring was stolen by Wextley, the assistant of an archaeologist who insists the ring will wake up the Spinx and reveal a cache of diamonds. A mummy knows what the Spinx is really hiding and recruits the Rescue Rangers to help him retrieve the ring.

Dale's reading werewolf comics in "A Wolf In Cheap Clothing." A wolf has been seen robbing houses in the area. Dale insists that it's a werewolf, but Gadget suspects that the real culprit is far closer to home. It turns out Professor Nimnul's at it again, using another one of his inventions to switch the bodies of two animals. The Rangers have to get him to switch back with a wolf who is now acting a bit too human for his (lack of) britches.

The weather held up long enough for me to run a few errands. Took the long way across Newton Lake Park to Westmont. It was surprisingly busy for the iffy weather. I guess a lot of people wanted to get out before the rain returned. The constant precipitation is seen in how lovely the greenery is. The trees glow like neon glowsticks; the brush along the shore waved in the breeze.

The Haddon Township Library wasn't too bad when I arrived. I did manage to shelve some DVDs, though not all of them; there were even more adult titles I couldn't squeeze in than kids' movies. I just took out Black Klansman and the second set of Rescue Rangers episodes.

Stopped at Target on the way home. I was hoping to find underwear, but all they had were fancy individual ones and their own brand (which did not come in my size). I finally gave up and moved on.

Went straight into writing when I got home. Luke tells the White Queen, the leader of the Rebel League, that he'll go after Mara and the bounty hunters from the air. Rudy agrees to do it on land and drags Charlie with him. Harris tells her that he intends to leave after he drives Leia back to their new hideout in Hoth Valley. Neither Leia nor the White Queen are happy about it, but he's worried about Jake Hunter and his other men coming after him.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had scrambled eggs with mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, and cheddar cheese while moving along with the Rangers. Chip finds a "Prehysterical Pet" who resembles a dinosaur but is really a super-smart alien. The other Rangers try to find his egg-shaped spaceship while Dale attempts to figure out what's making his new friend larger and less intelligent.

Played Lego Pirates of the Caribbean for a while after dinner. Earned enough money for the "Always Double Treasure" (times two) red hat extra and The Spaniard character who throws bombs, then went into Free Play. Did the best on "The Brethren Court," getting eight pieces and completing Jack's compass (but missing True Pirate). Picked up four pieces on "Norrington's Choice," but couldn't get True Pirate; got seven on "The Malestrom."

It started pouring again just as I started playing. It was really coming down at one point, though there was no thunder this time. It stopped about 20 minutes later, and to my knowledge, hasn't rained since then.

Finished the night with Words and Music. I go more into this 1948 MGM biography of songwriters Rodgers and Hart at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Words and Music

No comments: