Friday, June 21, 2019

The First Day of Summer

Kicked off another cloudy morning with breakfast and seasonal-themed Silly Symphony shorts in honor of the Summer Solstice. Indeed, "Summer" was the sixth Silly Symphony, and like most of the early ones. it's mainly animals dancing and eating each other in time to classical music. "Night" is much the same, only this time with nocturnal animals like frogs and owls frolicking after dark. "Playful Pan" has the famous fawn god dancing with the animals of the forest, until a fire nearly burns it to the ground. Pan has to play his flute to return the woods to life.

Later Silly Symphonies had slightly more complex plots. "The Bears and the Bees" are two adorable bear cubs who find a stump full of honey. The bees don't like them invading their home, and a larger bear is after the honey, too. "Bugs In Love" was the last black and white Silly Symphony. A pair of bug lovers are attacked by a crow. The boy manages to rally the other bugs to help rescue his sweetheart.

Headed out to get the laundry done as soon as the cartoons ended. Though the clouds lingered, they weren't as dark as they have been the past few days, and it wasn't anywhere near as humid. It was enough to scare people off. There were a few people at the laundromat when I arrived and the morning managers, but it wasn't really that busy. Good thing the managers were there. I forgot my laundry detergent; they loaned me one. I didn't have a huge load, anyway. I was out in less than an hour.

A light shower was just winding down when I headed home. I put my clothes away, then ran a summer-themed episode of Sailor Moon while having a quick lunch. The Sailor Guardians have a spooky start to their solstice in "The Summer, Youth, and Ghosts." Usagi is looking forward to her training vacation with Rei, Luna, and Ami...until they realize that their hotel is a spooky hulk run by creatures out of a Universal horror film. The owner is a menacing man who seems to be controlling his young daughter, whose psychic powers prove more frightening than any vampire or ghost when they're unleashed.

Went into "Usagi and Rei: Nightmare In Dreamland" as I packed up for running errands later. This is from a bit earlier in Season 1. Rei and Usagi's constant bickering comes to a head when they, Luna, and Ami investigate mysterious disappearances at a local amusement parks. Rei suspects every ride and robotic critter, but Usagi just wants to have fun and ride the rides. They have to learnt to work together when a creepy audio-animatronic "princess" steals Ami's energy and lures them into a trap.

Left a little early to return the DVDs to the Oaklyn Library and do volunteering. I had just enough time to go over the DVDs and the board books in the kids' area. I don't think I would have hung around for very long, even if I didn't need to dash to work. The only people there besides the librarian were a couple of elderly ladies whose complaining and gossiping got tiresome very quickly.

Work didn't begin well. They tossed me in the register as soon as I walked in the door. There had been a call-out, and two more would call out as the afternoon progressed. The manager begged me to stay another hour, due to the lack of help. I was stuck dealing with people for two hours, and they weren't always in the best moods. Thankfully, it slowed down shortly after that. I did end up briefly in the register again, but I was mainly shelving returns or helping the other two baggers with the carts. The extra hour didn't turn out to be necessary. It was so dead by 5 PM, I spent the last hour hanging up gift cards with no interruption whatsoever.

By the time I finally got out around 6 PM, the clouds and humidity was long gone, revealing a windy, sunny day that felt a lot more like the first day of summer. It was too nice to have dinner anywhere but Sonic. Surprisingly, despite the nice day and it being the dinner hour, the patio was empty when I arrived. I was able to enjoy my cheeseburger, tater tots, and cherry limeade in much-appreciated peace.

Went back to work to do this week's grocery shopping. I really didn't need much. The Acme's having big weekend sales on broccoli and eggs. I wasn't in that desperate need of eggs, but the sale was once again too good to pass on. There was a good sale on Emerald nuts, too. Went with honey-coated peanuts. Took advantage of a sale and an online coupon to grab the Nature Valley Granola Cups. I love them, and they almost never go on sale. The clearance shelves still groan with discontinued candy; I went with a bag of mini white Reeces Peanut Butter Cups. Grabbed my favorite Talenti Gelato, too. Restocked skim milk, canned pineapple, yogurt, honey, brown sugar, peaches, chocolate chips, and soap.

My schedule this week is a little strange. We're back to mostly early days, including a very early day on Sunday...but there's a relatively late evening next Friday, and Thursday has me listed for the floral department as well as bagging. Well, ok. I like the floral department manager, and I wouldn't mind lending her a hand. Tuesday and Wednesday off, Tuesday for counseling, and slightly more hours.

Stayed with Sailor Moon as I put everything away and changed. "I Want a Boyfriend: The Luxury Cruise Ship Is a Trap" has Usagi desperate to get tickets for a romantic ocean voyage for couples. Thing is, she has no significant other in her life...but that doesn't stop Rei from winning tickets and inviting Ami along. Usagi and Luna stowaway as photographers, which turns out to be a smart move when they learn that the ship and the cruise is a Negaverse plot to steal energy.

Went into Lego Pirates of the Caribbean around quarter of 8. I'm getting very close to finishing this game. Completed "Isala Cruses" and "Davy Jones' Locker," including all pieces and compass points. The minikit finder's been a huge help in digging up the remaining pieces! The last on in "Locker" was especially tough. I didn't realize that you needed to shoot everything that's breakable in the extra room with the food to get it.

Finished the night with Recess: School's Out in honor of the end of the school year and the beginning of the summer. TJ Detwiller is looking forward to three months of fun with his best friends Vince, Mikey, Gus, Spinelli, and Gretchen. He's devastated when they all go away to camp, leaving him to spend a boring summer along. Things take a turn for the strange when he sees strange men in sunglasses around Third Street School and a laser blasting out of the lunch room. He tells Principal Prickley, but he disappears. When neither his parents nor the police believe his story, he rounds up his friends and the other students at Third Street to get to the bottom of this mystery...and discover a conspiracy to eliminate summer vacation forever!

Enjoyable ode to time off was a surprise hit in 2001, even bigger that year than Disney's "canon" animated movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Ironically, it's about as equally forgotten today. If you're a fan of the cartoon or have fond memories of when it ran on Saturday mornings, or are a fan of 60's rock (which makes up most of the soundtrack), you may find much to enjoy in this one.

No comments: