Monday, June 24, 2019

The Jedi and the Little Tramp

It was still sunny when I rolled out of bed this morning, but a little hotter than it had been. I cooled off with breakfast and finishing off "Defenders of the Peace." Tried to work on my new Facebook business page...but I'm sort of stalled. I have no fancy cover page or books to promote. What would I use for a cover page? How would I promote my blogs? I need to do further research. I'd like to add further to my Instagram, too. I joined them, but then did nothing with them.

Broke for a quick lunch at 11. Made a Berries and Cream Smoothie while watching the next Clone Wars episode. "The Hidden Enemy" is apparently a prequel episode, set after the movie but before the series proper begins. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and their clones attempt to liberate the planet of Christophis from the Separtists, but they're ambushed and forced to retreat. The two Jedi believe that it's a Sith plot...and that there's a traitor in their midst. While clone officers Cody and Rex look for the traitor, the two Jedi pursue assassin Asaji Ventress.

Peeked in the mailbox on my way out; was surprised to discover a letter addressed to me. It was from an anonymous long-time reader, who praised my blog and encouraged me to keep writing. She suggested looking into local small newspapers to make occasional contributions and sent me a Chick Fil'A gift card. I'll use it for my lunch after my other early day on Thursday. Thank you so much! You don't know how much your kind comments mean to me.

Work was less pleasant. I spent an hour doing carts, then went inside to work on the candy. One of the managers sent me on my break, then said she wanted me to get the carts. I'd no sooner sat down in the back employee room with my peach than I was called back up to do carts by another manager. I wolfed down my peach in five minutes and went back outside. After a half-hour, the head bagger came outside and told me I could take a 20-minute break due to the mix-up, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Spent the rest of the day with the candy, which I didn't close to finish.

Doing the carts wasn't always fun, either. The heat had returned, and with it came the humidity. While not nearly as bad as last week, it also wasn't as lovely as the weekend. I switched the air conditioner on as soon as I got in.

Went straight home after work to do some writing. Leia's horrified to learn that Harris has gone out in the snow after Luke. Harris is prepared with a tent and medical kit...but a blizzard has just started. Even so, Dr. Rieekian closes the main door and says he'll dispatch men to look for them the next day. Meanwhile, Luke is wandering around in the snow after having dealt with a yeti-like monster. He gets a visit from a familiar figure, who may or may not be a ghost...

Had leftovers and a salad for dinner at 6:30. Returned to Clone Wars while I ate. Padme discovers a "Blue Shadow Virus" being developed in a lab on Naboo by Separatist mad scientist Dr. Nuvo Vindi. When she and Jar Jar are captured by Vindi and his guards, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Rex, and Ahsoka go after them.

Played a little Lego Pirates of the Caribbean after dinner. Finally picked up the last two red hat extras. I knew there was an extra in the bay between the main port and the tiny island, but I couldn't figure out how to get to it...until I looked it up and learned that you pulled out the bridge with the gold wheel. That gave me more hearts. I'd found the Invincibility extra at Tia Dolma's before, but I wasn't able to afford it then. I could now.

Didn't do nearly as well with the actual rounds. I tried "Isla De Murta" three times before finally giving up and moving on. Got all but one piece and one compass point on "A Spanish Legacy," including finding at least one piece I hadn't expected via a huge fish who leads you under a gate on the water.

Finished the night with Chaplin. Robert Downey Jr. plays one of the most famous film comedians in the world, Charlie Chaplin, in this biography. Chaplin relates the complex story of his life to the fictional man who is taking down his real-life autobiography (Anthony Hopkins). He joined a dancing troupe after his delicate mother Hannah (Geraldine Chaplin) is sent to a mental institution and eventually becomes a big hit in a comic drunk act. His first love is chorus girl Hetty Kelly (Moira Kelly), who turns down his proposal before he goes to America.

He does well in the US as part of the stable of comedy king Mack Sennett (Dan Ackroyd), which is where he develops his iconic "Little Tramp" character. He convinces Sennett to let him direct after he gives his girlfriend Mabel Normand (Marisa Tomei) a shot. He loves directing so much, he leaves Sennett to take further control over his work. This comes to a head after the short The Immigrant is criticized for its political comment and he makes an enemy of the head of the FBI J. Edgar Hoover (Kevin Dunn).

His movies may be doing well, even as he refuses to switch to sound, but his love life isn't so funny. His first wife, Mildred Harris (Milla Jojovich), first lies about having a baby, then leaves him after the one she does have dies in infancy. He does have two sons by his second wife Lita Gray (Deborah Moore), but it doesn't work out. He marries the leading lady of his second movie with sound effects, Modern Times, Paulette Goddard (Diane Lane), but she's tired of him spending more time working on his movies than her and leaves. He finally finds lasting love with Oona O'Neil (Kelly) in the 40's, even as a paternity scandal breaks and he's no longer allowed in the US. He settles in Switzerland, still occasionally making movies...but he does get one last moment of glory when he returns to Hollywood to accept an honorary Oscar and see just how beloved he still is.

This was one of the rare 90s new releases that Mom, not Dad, brought to my attention. She's a huge fan of old movies and loves Downey Jr. as well. I've been looking for this one at a good price for years. Downey Jr. got some of the best reviews of his career as a pitch-perfect Chaplin. He really does look like him, especially in his "Little Tramp" persona. The rest of the cast is also excellent, including Kevin Kline as an equally well-cast Douglas Fairbanks Sr., James Woods as the acerbic lawyer who handles the paternity case, and Kelly as Chaplin's two great loves. And yes, that is Geraldine Chaplin (Charlie's oldest daughter by O'Neil) playing her own grandmother.

Yes, this is cliched and overlong, and there's occasional liberties taken with Chaplin's life, but for the most part, if you love stories of old Hollywood or Chaplin or want to see Downey Jr. in something very different from the Iron Man and Avengers movies, I can't recommend this one enough.

(Incidentally, whatever Charlie went through to make Modern Times was worth it - it's my favorite of his movies. I'm also very fond of The Gold Rush.)

No comments: