Saturday, June 16, 2007

Father's Day Treat

I made this extra low-fat cake for my biological father for Father's Day (since I really had no idea what to get him). I came up with the cooking wine, instead of plain old water, for an extra kick. The extra applesauce is there because I forgot I only had two eggs left and needed something additional to keep the cake moist.

Summer White Fruit Cake

1 box white cake mix (I used Betty Crocker, but any will do.)
1/2 cup white wine (I used cooking, but I imagine alcoholic wine would work as well.)
2 egg whites
2 large bananas, ripe and mashed
1 cup unsweetened, drained applesauce
1/3 cups strawberries
1/3 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Prepare pan and white cake mix as shown on box; replace water with wine. Add drained applesauce and mashed bananas, and spices. Mix by hand (how I did it) or electric mixer until smooth. Add strawberries and blueberries, folding them in gently by hand. Place in greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or as instructed on box.

No comments: