Saturday, July 05, 2008

Farmer's Bounty

Despite weather that remained humid and cloudy, I headed to the farm market this morning. The farm market was busy, but not nearly as much as usual, and there were no dogs out. Some of the booths were missing, too. The crepes and the honey were gone for the week, but I was still able to pick up blueberries, bread, peaches, sweet potatoes, cherries, and the first New Jersey tomatoes of the season. I made a quick stop at the Collingswood Library to see if they had any good records (they didn't), said "hi" to Erica at the thrift shop, and then went across the street to the Collingswood Variety Store to look at their WebKinz. I ended up with the Pet of the Month, the Cheeky Monkey.

It was surprisingly quiet on my way home. There didn't appear to be a single yard sale this week, and there was no traffic anywhere, even in Collingswood. Maybe they all went grocery shopping. While not quite as crazy as yesterday, work was still very, very busy, and we were still short-handed. (We'll likely remain short-handed for the rest of the week. According to the schedule, half the store is going on vacation.) I did a little grocery shopping after work, picking up Breyers Light Yogurt, bananas, Quaker 90 Calorie Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars, Bigelow's French Vanilla Tea, and two packages of chicken (breasts and thighs). Both were on sale, and the thighs had an extra "manager's sale" $1.00 coupon.

After I got in from work, I put everything away, changed into my bathing suit, and headed over to Uncle Ken's for a swim and dinner. Uncle Ken made ham, cole slaw, macaroni salad, and baked beans. His girlfriend Dolores brought a huge loaf of bread (it was really good - she said she got it from the Acme!), and Karen and Jim contributed fresh corn from the many farm stands in the largely rural area where they live. The pool was cooler than the last time I went in, thanks to the recent clouds, but not freezing. I went in on my own before dinner. After dinner, I was joined by Rose, Jodie, and Karen and Jim's two-year-old son CJ, who just couldn't resist a pool, any pool.

Oh, and meet Micky, the Cheeky Monkey! The last member of the "Webbies," my WebKinz Monkees, Micky is the wild and crazy drummer who loves jokes and fooling around and is named for Micky Dolenz. As the Pet of the Month, he came with some extra goodies, including a Balloon Making Machine, and as Pet #45, he also came with a Super Bed. I chose the cool new Apple Pie Bed - maybe I'll use it in a fall-themed room. The money he came with was used to make a "Concert Arena" for the Webbies on the KinzBeach Boardwalk, complete with a souvenir stand.

No comments: