Sunday, July 27, 2008

Just a Big Black Rain Cloud

There were heavy clouds gathering over Camden County this morning when I called Mom for our Sunday chat. Mom said it was cloudy in Cape May County, too, and predicted rain. Mom was alone again. Dad was out fishing and Keefe was babysitting. She praised my going to Yogawood and fussed about Anny and Skylar and Anny not disciplining Skylar enough again.

It remained cool but very humid when I went to work at 11. Work wasn't bad, steady with few problems...until around 1:30-2PM. The clouds that had gathered all morning finally reached a dark, heavy critical mass shortly after my break. It was so dark, as Katie, one of the cashiers, pointed out, it looked more like 8PM than 2PM.

That was when it started to rain. And I mean really rain. It rained so hard, you couldn't see the sidewalk, much less the parking lot. There was a long line of people at both entrances waiting for the rain and thunder to subside so they could make a dash to their cars. Needless to say, we weren't busy for the rest of the afternoon.

The storm was down to a soft shower by the time I finished at 3:30. I waited for another five minutes as the storm died down to a drizzle, then headed home. I was thinking of going for a walk, but while the thunder and lighting did finally subside, it rained hard on and off for the rest of the afternoon. I spent the day adding numbers to my cell phone and music to my new MP3 player instead.

No comments: