Saturday, November 06, 2021

A Walk In Oaklyn

Heard the alarm go off this morning, then closed my eyes for five minutes...and opened them again a half-hour later. Had just enough time to finish Killing Thyme, have a quick breakfast, and watch Super Password. Jamie Farr makes a mistake on a clue that really leaves him embarrassed. Meanwhile, it takes almost the whole puzzle for everyone to remember what state is mentioned in the old Stephan Foster song "Oh Susanna." 

Thanks to my late start, I didn't call Uber until nearly 20 minutes before week. They were there in nine minutes, but it still took time to get to work. It honestly could have been worse. I was only six or seven minutes late.

Work at least went fast. We were busy almost the entire afternoon, and we still don't have enough help. The customers behaved better, at any rate. The beginning of the month people are starting to peter out, and there were a lot of local events and birthday parties this week. At any rate, it thankfully slowed down enough by quarter after 4 for me to shut down without a relief.

No trouble getting home, either. It took less than 6 minutes for the driver to arrive this time. She was a pleasant and sweet lady who happily chatted with me about work and Oaklyn on the way home. As we passed the parking lot and Memorial Park, she noticed people milling around a series of tents and thought there might have been some kind of festival or fair going on. I did see them there that morning, but I assumed they were leftover from Final Friday yesterday. 

Since it was such a nice day, instead of going straight into writing when I got home, I changed and strolled down Manheim and West Clinton. Turns out the festival was a beer taster's fair. The tents housed barrels filled with the sweetest and spiciest brew from Tonewood and several other local breweries. There was a live band, and it looked like everyone was having a lot of fun...but I don't drink. I settled for a frozen hot chocolate from Common Grounds on the next block over from their new menu.

Got to writing when I came home. While Richard returns to his delighted sons, the huge Brett tells off the kings and queen, reminding Betty and Allen that they have a duty to their wacky people to do what's right for them, not for the Red King. She then starts telling the Red King off...just as the mushrooms wear off and she shrinks down to her normal size...

Had leftovers for dinner while watching The Chipmunk Adventure, one of my FYE finds last month. I go further into this old childhood favorite at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Oh, and I found my credit card (among other things) in the mail when I got home. I'll start using it tomorrow or later this week. 

No comments: