Sunday, November 21, 2021

Let's Get Organized

Started off the morning with Banana Coconut Pancakes for breakfast and Here's Love on the record player. This musical version of Miracle on 34th Street from 1963 would be the last Broadway show from composer/lyricist Meredith Wilson. It largely sticks to the original film about a Macy's Santa who may or may not be the real thing and teaches a Macy's executive (Janis Paige) and her daughter (Valerie Lee) about fantasy. The big one here is Santa's nostalgic "Pine Cones and Holly Berries" sung in counterpoint to Doris' version of an earlier Meredith Wilson holiday song, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas."

Switched to much quieter music while doing the dishes. One of my earliest record finds was a set of American mountain folk music played on the flute. It makes for lovely, quiet listening during Thanksgiving and other national holidays.

Headed out shortly after that. We were busy off and on through about 2:30-3 PM. It's less than a week before Thanksgiving, and people are starting to think about the big dinner and what to eat before that. Didn't help that the weather wasn't great, either, cold, cloudy, and windy. It slowed down so much by quarter of 5, I was able to leave a few minutes early with no relief or need for one.

Hurried home...then grabbed my purse and went right back out. I needed a few things from Dollar General. Mom and Rose called me while I was on the road. Good thing it's a lot easier to pull over and take a call on a bike than it is in a car. 

Mom was in a better mood. She understands that I'm not as good with phone calls or confrontations as Rose. She also wants me to take a whole month off of work. I can call out for a day every now and then, but I'm not sure I'd be able to take a full month off, especially at the height of the holiday season. 

Rose was angrier that I hadn't gotten to sending an e-mail or buying a planner or organizing things. She complains that she's the one who has to take care of me. I wish she wouldn't say that. I don't want anyone to have to take care of me but me. 

She had better news on the legal front. She may be able to get me two month's notice instead of one. I think she's a wonderful lawyer, but I'm not holding my breath. Jodie says we have to leave in a month, because that's when the new owners will take over.

Dollar General was very busy when I arrived, with a long line. Good thing I didn't need much. I was mainly there for the planner I forgot to pick up yesterday. Bought trash bags so I can start packing, too. 

As soon as I got home, I sat down and organized that planner, writing down everything I need to do in the next few days and all the information Rose and I jotted down when I was at her house on Friday. I also found my original list of apartments I made in the beginning of this month and added to and updated it, writing down if I'd gotten e-mails from them, needed to call them, or if they were full or not interested. 

Made salmon, steamed broccoli, and riced cauliflower with vegetables for dinner while listening to Mr. President. Irving Berlin's final Broadway show is the story of the (then) current president, who loves his job but has just been voted out. His daughter's (Anita Gillette) having her own problems. She's dating the son of a Middle Eastern president, but her Secret Service guard has a huge crush on her. The President goes on an around-the-world tour with his wife (Nanette Fabray), and almost causes an international incident in Russia before smoothing things over. He really wants to return to public life...and his daughter really wants to know who belongs to her heart.

Not the best way for Berlin to go out. This is cute and has decent performances from Fabray and Gillette (whose patter number "The Secret Service" is a highlight), but is otherwise dull. If the story was old-fashioned in 1962, it's downright antiquarian in the 21st century, and Berlin's music is far from his best work. Only if you're a really huge fan of his or Fabray's.

Jodie came in while I ate dinner. Apparently, there's going to be a house inspector around on Wednesday. We have to clear out from 10 to 2. I'm off that day. Maybe I'll go out to eat and see if I can check out a few places. 

Returned to organizing after a shower. Turns out 700 Station Avenue in Haddon Heights is Haddon Court...and according to the umbrella website for it and several other properties in the area, there's nothing available there. I e-mailed them again anyway, just in case. 

(Oh, and quick research online revealed that, yay, the Eagles walloped the Saints this afternoon 40 to 26. No wonder it died so fast at work.)

Finished out the night on YouTube with Thanksgiving game show episodes. I dug out a little more this year than I did last November. Orson Bean discusses his role as the voice of Bilbo Baggins in the 1977 animated version of The Hobbit during the pre-Thanksgiving Match Game episode from that year. Sale of the Century showed off dining tables, fancy dinners, and a real Thanksgiving meal for their Instant Bargains in 1985. The 1987 syndicated High Rollers awarded "turkeys" stuffed with cash as prizes. Celebrity chef Guy Fiori gave away cooking-related prizes, including big dining room sets in the Showcase Showdowns on the 2010 Price Is Right Thanksgiving episode. 

Of course, Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family, which is why I had to sneak in a few Family Feud episodes. Richard Dawson and Ray Combs deal with some extremely goofy answers in the Fast Money rounds during these episodes as people freeze and toss out anything. The syndicated Combs episode is from Thanksgiving 1988 and even ends with a big meal.

Play games with your family while you wait for the big meal this Thanksgiving!

No comments: