Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Rainy Day Blues

Awoke to a ringing phone. It was my sister Rose, who wanted to see if I've had any luck with apartment-hunting. I had to explain about not making enough money, and then made the mistake of bringing up my desire to maybe put in an application to Target after the holidays and I've found a place. No, Rose said, why don't you do it right now, instead of putting it off? 

Um, I put it off because I'm trying to find an apartment. Suddenly switching jobs won't look good to potential landlords, and I have enough on my plate as it is. She kept insisting that I make a list of all the places I wanted to work and start applying. I never even got the chance to explain that the realtors said not to switch jobs now. (And I have no desire to work at Amazon either. Not after Craig got the virus while working there last winter.)

And on top of that, she said that I don't have any skills for anything besides retail work. Of course I do! I'm a writer! What does my blog look like? Trouble is, I've been doing that damn retail job for 20 years. I really want out of retail, but I just get so nervous about putting in those proposals for writing jobs! I'm much better at making up stories than writing nice things about myself. She's still convinced there's something wrong with me...and I'm still convinced all I need is to improve my confidence levels. 

Right now, I feel like I'm being torn in six different directions. Jodie says one thing, Rose says another, and the realtors say something else. All I want is to run away to a cabin far, far from people, retail, apartments, or anything else, and just stay there for the rest of my life. 

I felt pretty worthless when I got off with her. Put on You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown after I finished my usual writing and reading to make myself feel better as I ate breakfast. The polls are in at Charlie Brown's school. There's no chance of him becoming student body president, but Linus might be able to pull it off...until he starts rambling about his favorite fall topic, The Great Pumpkin.

Settled down in my room after the cartoon ended. I first wrote that letter. I hope it came out right. I'll look up a template and type it tomorrow. After that, I made a list of the ten places businesses I'd most like to work for. I'd really rather work for Barnes & Noble or FYE than Target...but their starting salaries are even lower than the Acme's. I need to make more money, not less. I did apply to Target when I went online...but I won't apply anywhere else until I figure out where I'm going. 

Snuck a little writing in. Brett sweeps the card guards away with her fingers. After all, they're nothing but a pack of playing cards. The Cheshire Catwoman appears among them down below and takes them all on herself as well.

Broke for lunch at 1. Watched Happy Days while making a banana-pineapple smoothie. Richie Cunningham learns about the workings of the political system when he campaigns for Adali Stevenson in "The Not-Making of the President" because a pretty girl at school is also heavily campaigning for him. Mr. Cunningham is a big Eisenhower supporter and is incensed that his son should switch sides, but after seeing Richie give a convincing speech at a rally, he admits that it's ok for parents and children to have different opinions. (Especially after Fonzie gave the pro-Republican speech!) 

Headed off to work as the episode ended. Had a harder time finding rides today than I have the past week, probably because it was rainy, windy, and cold the entire afternoon. Took 13 minutes for the Uber to arrive this morning and 17 for the evening driver. At least there was no traffic either way.

We were once again busy all afternoon, even with slightly more help and the bad weather. In addition to this being the beginning of the month and Election Day, it's our Senior Discount Day. They kept switching me back and forth between express and another register, too, and I just kept on making mistakes. I couldn't wait to get out of there. 

Went straight into Match Game '77 and leftovers for dinner when I got in. Brett explained to Gene that Jane spoke perfectly normal during a Tarzan question. (The answers to those questions kind of disturbed me.) Later on, we get some interesting answers to a question about whom would Richard an obscene phone call. 

Put up the Thanksgiving decorations (or most of them) while Match Game PM ran. Bob Barker was happy to ogle Charlene Tilton next to him. He was less thrilled with having to help a contestant with a $20,000 Heat-to-Head question on "The Brooklyn __."

Finished the night online with Of Thee I Sing on YouTube. I go further into this 1972 TV adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning political satire with Gershwin brothers music at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: