Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Getting Ready for Vacation

Started off my morning with breakfast and the first season of Sailor Moon on Hulu. It's "Usagi vs. Rei: Nightmare In Dreamland" when Ami, Luna, and the squabbling title duo investigate a popular local amusement park that's said to have had several mysterious disappearances. Rei's frustrated by Usagi being more interested in the rides and food than in their mission, until they have to rescue Ami from a creepy doll-like animatronic princess.

Spent the next hour or so pulling out the luggage and bringing the laundry downstairs. Got most of the backpack and my clothes together, though some things would have to wait for later or tomorrow. Made sure to pack my umbrella, too, and a heavy sweater. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow and will drop into the low 60's in Pittsfield after that. 

Watched Jetsons; The Movie as I rounded up what I'd need for my trip. I go further into the only big-screen foray of the "first family of the future" (and an old childhood favorite of mine) at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


(Incidentally, while I won't be doing reviews on vacation, I will continue to update this blog.)

Put on Match Game '75 after I went downstairs to switch the laundry to the dryer. An audience member gives Gene a carnation and greens to hide his busted microphone, then eventually gives them to the rest of the cast. Gene spends the rest of the episode fielding many jokes about talking into a flower.

Headed out shortly after the episode ended. I had a lot of errands I wanted to run. WaWa was busy with the lunch crowd when I got in, but I did take money for vacation out of the ATM machine and buy a sweet and subtly spicy Pumpkin Spice Smoothie. Stopped at the pretzel shop to buy a soft twist for lunch; got a second thrown in. Hiked to the other side of Oaklyn to buy a few remaining things for the trip, including snacks, a thank you card for Mr. and Mrs. Miller, and gifts for Lauren. Went back to WaWa when I realized I forgot a Caesar salad for lunch for tomorrow. It'll be cheaper and faster to eat on the train than it would to buy food at the stations. 

Besides, the weather remained too lovely to be inside all day. While nothing like the heat waves we had in July and early August, it was much hotter and more humid today despite the searing blue sky and bright sunshine. Soft, cool autumn breezes helped make the heat more tolerable. Not to mention, I'll be spending almost all of tomorrow sitting in a train or a station.

Brought the laundry upstairs when I got home, then finished all the packing I could do for now and put away any clothes I won't need in Pittsfield. I'll do the rest of it tonight and tomorrow after I get dressed. 

Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening finally finishing Blank In Wonderland. Brett wakes up to discover she's fighting with her lawn chair. Jack's there, too, and she gives him an awkward greeting as he picks up the boys. He's not really angry, though, and even gives her a kiss on the cheek. Brett tells Charles she's willing to spend a night on the town with him, "but no tea parties!"

And that's that. This took me longer than it should have, probably due to all the stress in my life since I started it last May and it just ending up being a novel-length story, but I think it turned out decently despite all the trouble. 

Next up after vacation will be a series of short stories, some of them based after my childhood, others revolving around the Match Game cast. For now, enjoy Brett Somers' epic fantasy dream!


Broke for dinner and Let's Make a Deal at 6:30. This is another one I saw in July during that marathon. A lobster and his chef wife won $1,400, but traded it away for what turned out to be a much nicer kitchen set. The Big Deal of the Day went to a woman in a very patriotic ensemble covered in flags. She missed out on getting an upright piano in a deal earlier...and was thrilled when she won a gorgeous grand piano!

Finished the night with more Match Game '75. Ed Asner makes his first appearance on the series and Julie London her only appearance during this week. Brett blurted out that the sweet, sobbing contestant looked like she was going to have a nervous breakdown...right before Gene's Head-to-Head question was "Nervous __." Guess what the contestant and Richard answered? 

No comments: