Friday, September 30, 2022

Before the Storms Came

Began the morning with breakfast for me and the cats and Charlie & Lola. Charlie and Lola plan "The Most Wonderfullest Picnic In the Whole World" with their best friends Marv and Lotta. The girls are hoping to eat everything you possibly can outdoors. The boys want to wallop each other at tetherball. Unfortunately, bad weather forces a change to their plans, but they discover that picnics can be just as much fun inside as out.

Brought my laundry downstairs. I have a lot that needs to be done. In addition to clothes from vacation, I'm washing towels and my summer sheets and quilts. I had so much, I ended up doing it in two batches. 

Worked on writing between loads. After three long multi-chapter stories in a row, I'd like to do some projects I'll hactually finish this year. Started one of the three Match Game short stories I have planned, Wedding Blank. This one is set directly after the 1978 episode where the others hold a "wedding" for Jack Klugman and Brett Somers in the last five minutes or so. Jack is amused. Brett isn't - they divorced for a reason. Brett also asks him about his kissing on her neck earlier. He claims it was part of the gag.

Broke at 1:30 for lunch and more Charlie & Lola. The kids say "I've Won, No I've Won, No I've Won" when Lola cheats to win at every game. Charlie keeps trying to find something she can't cheat at. He finally comes up with an obstacle course that his longer legs naturally give him an advantage on.

Went downstairs to put the laundry in the dryer, then changed and headed out to work. No problems there today. I only worked four hours, and I spent them sweeping and pushing carts. We were only busy during the 3:30-4 PM rush hour. They originally told me I'd only do the carts until the head bagger (who wanted to cashier) went home...but then they ended up with more cashiers than they needed. I rounded up carts for the evening bagger when he came in, freeing up him to gather the outside trash.

Even the weather cooperated at first. Dark clouds and heavy wind kept everything cool despite the humidity thick enough to cut with a knife. Passed through a very busy Final Friday Festival on West Clinton in Oaklyn, but not only did I not bring money, but the rain wouldn't cooperate for much longer. The rain finally started about a half-hour after I got home. It's been pouring off and on for the rest of the night. 

Watched Match Game '77 while I had dessert. Tom Hallick of The Young and the Restless came dressed in a tux and looked very dapper and handsome. Brett was happier joking around with goofy Dick Martin, who replaced Charles Nelson Reilly for the week. (I believe Charles was out doing a Broadway show, not getting his face lifted, as Brett suggested!) Meanwhile, Richard has no trouble helping the contestant with "__ Graph" in the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night online watching Murder She Wrote as I finally put away my laundry and the new work sneakers I ordered on Amazon. Jessica runs across "Corned Beef & Carnage" when her niece is accused of killing the ruthless head (Larry Kline) of the advertising agency where she worked. She did quit over sexual harassment shortly before his death, but she's far from the only person with a beef against the ad man. His brother (Bill Macy) and partner (David Ogden Stiers) were appalled by his shoving them out of the business and his lack of creativity, and a rival company had attempted to steal his ideas and personnel. No one seems to know when he died...until Jessica discovers that a certain corned beef sandwich he ordered may not have showed up when it was originally claimed to. 

No comments: