Saturday, March 11, 2023

High Hopes

Started off the morning with breakfast and Sheriff Callie's Wild West. Peck's excited about Governor Groundhog's visit. He's hoping he'll be impressed and award him a big, shiny deputy badge. "Priscilla's Lost Love Bird," however, has the lady skunk very upset. Callie convinces Peck to join her and help catch the missing critter. Peck despairs of ever doing anything to get that badge, until it turns out he's the only one who can bring the bird home. Callie gets her foot stuck in a can right before the big town square dance. She's about ready to give up, but thanks to Toby and Peck's encouragement, ends up inventing "Callie's Cowgirl Twirl" instead and becomes a big hit.

Did some research after that. Yes, Rutgers and Rowan do have online library science courses. Thing is, I wonder if I could find a job while I do those courses, or how long they would take and how much they would cost. I'm not spending tons of money and time on courses I can't use. I want something I'll be hired for. I need to make money and get a place of my own, and it doesn't have to be in South Jersey, either. I do want to stay in the Northeast and I'll look around South and Central Jersey first, but I'm also considering the Philadelphia suburbs, upstate New York, and even up into New England.

Broke for lunch at noon. Watched a What's My Line from 1971 as I ate leftovers and a PB & J on cinnamon raisin bread. I came in just as the panel tried to guess why a woman was submerged into water. Turns out she wore a new flotation device that could pass as a life preserver or as a kind of raft. Burgess Meredith, who would be twice nominated for an Oscar later in the 70's, was the Mystery Guest. 

No trouble with Uber today. The one picking me up from home got here in less than five minutes; the one going home arrived in 8 minutes. No traffic anywhere on either Pike, arrived in five minutes both ways, and that was despite the one going to work opting to cut through Oaklyn instead of going down Nicholson.

Work started busy and ended busy, but it was quiet in between...and a pain all day long. If I wasn't nervous and causing trouble, people were complaining about this sale or that not coming up the way they wanted it to or about the prices. I'm sorry folks, I can't help inflation. I was lucky they sent the head bagger in for me because my relief was late.

Soon as I got home, I went straight into A Cinderella Story: Starstruck. I go into more detail on the most recent installment in this franchise at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked on some writing while the movie ran. Gene tells Richard in frustration that they have a big job for the next day. They have to guard the money from the bank that's being temporarily kept in the saloon while the bank is being repaired. Richard seems more interested in asking where his suit can be fixed, but he actually has a plan...

Tonight's Match Game Classics marathon started at 8 PM. Tonight, we honored "Leading Ladies of Hollywood," along with an episode where Gary Burgoff mentioned oversleeping and missing a taping due to Daylight Savings. Among those leading ladies were Broadway legend Ethel Merman in 1975 and 1978, Arlene Francis in 1974 and 1978, Suzanne Sommers and Minnie Pearl in 1977, Lynda Day George in 1975, and Connie Francis in one of her earlier appearances on a 1979 PM episode that also featured Betty White. Let's celebrate screen queens and Women's History Month with these sterling performances from movie, TV, and stage favorites!


Finished off the night with Lawrence Welk. His musical family did their own salutes to Hollywood, with Oscar-winning songs like "It Goes Like It Goes" from Norma Rae, "Born Free" from the 1966 film of that title, "In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening" from Here Comes the Groom, "High Hopes" from A Hole In the Head, "Do Not Forsake Me" from High Noon, "Buttons and Bows" from The Paleface, and the gorgeous score from Love Story. They did surprisingly well by "Last Dance" from Thank God It's Friday in 1981, with Bobby Burgess and Elaine Niverson really getting into their disco routine. Jack Benny even turned up to do jokes and attempt to play the violin in the 1971 episode. 

Of course, the other major event this coming week is St. Patrick's Day. They did their big Irish-themed show in 1979. Jack Imel and Mary Ann Metzger had a lot of fun with "If You're Irish, Come Into the Parlor," and Arthur Duncan did a tap routine to "Little Annie Rooney Waltz." "Hi Lili, Hi Lili" is more French than Irish, but it still sounded lovely on Norma Zimmer. Even Mexican beauty Anacani contributed "Shamrocks, Shillelaghs, and Shenanigans." The Hotsy Totsy Boys finished things off as leprechauns singing about how "I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover."

If you're Irish - or an Oscar winner - come into the parlor and enjoy these delightful tunes with Lawrence Welk and his musical family!


Oh, and don't forget to set your clocks ahead tonight for Daylight Savings!

No comments: