Sunday, March 08, 2020

Out of the Blue

Awoke to a sunny, breezy morning. I blinked, rolled over to look at my alarm clock...and to my horror, it said 8:07! I was supposed to be at work by 8! I quickly changed, ate cranberry sauce and yogurt for breakfast, and dashed out the door.

After all that, we were dead when I arrived. They hadn't even noticed I was missing. I told them I'd stay an extra half-hour to make up for the mishap. I'm glad I did manage to work on the carts in the morning. It was chilly when I arrived, but by noon, the temperature rose to the lower 60's. The nice day brought in the customers...and decimated our work force. Three people called out. I ended spending most of the rest of the afternoon in the registers, despite the bagger who came in needing more help with the carts.

Needless to say, I dashed home as soon as I finished. As soon as I changed, I fell into bed. I'm so dead tired. I haven't had a day off since Tuesday (and won't until this Tuesday), and it's been busy at work with the beginning of the month. I slept for two hours and didn't really feel much better.

Tried to do some writing when I got up, but I remained too groggy to think much. Charles is dazed when he awakens in a strange room. Arlene and Gene explain that Gene managed to bring them all to the herbal shop to make use of her remedies. Charles, however, is more concerned about his friends Brett and Richard...

Broke for dinner at 7. Cooked up the shrimp with imitation Old Bay seasoning and ate it on a bed of spinach with my own home-made French dressing for dinner. Had green beans with butter on the side. Listened to the soundtrack from Flashdance while I ate. I've never been the biggest fan of the melodramatic 1983 musical film, but it does have some nifty music. Along with the Oscar-winning "What a Feeling!" and the hit "Maniac," I'm a fan of the sexy "He's a Dream" and "Manhunt" and the touching ballad "Lady, Lady, Lady."

Finished the night as I did the dishes with a blast from my own childhood. Debbie Gibson's albums Out of the Blue and Electric Youth were among the things that helped get me through a rough time in the late 80's and early 90's. I used to listen to "Fallen Angel," "Red Hot," the ballad "Between the Lines," and the perky title song constantly. My sisters loved her so much, they shared a version of the black hat she always wore.

No comments: