Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pumpin' and Blowin'

I was thankful for the sunshine, 50 degree temperatures, and no wind after the last few Tuesdays were either damp and murky, rainy, icy, windy, or some combination thereof. I ran my usual Westmont errands and did my library volunteering with no problems. I did the Children's DVDs again, since they'd just gotten in a big batch. One of the librarians asked me to space them out. Bunching them together tended to leave too many open spaces on the racks and make them look empty. I did so. She was right; it DID look a lot better with one DVD in each slot instead of two. Most of the DVDs come from the most popular kids' series, anyway - Angelina Ballerina, Blue's Clues/Room, Bob the Builder, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Dora the Explorer, Sesame Street, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, Vegetales, or The Wiggles - or are multiple copies of the newest big kiddie flick. Once you get those sorted out, what you have left are random family movies and two or three DVDs from other series.

I made quick runs to Super Fresh to use a few coupons on items cheaper there than at the Acme (they have a better jelly and jam selection, so I used a coupon and got some Sugar Free Polaners and a box of Cream of Wheat for a dollar off) and to Dollar Tree for a new shower curtain. It was well after lunch by then, so I ended up at Nick and Joe's Pizzeria for that heavenly Chicken and Broccoli Wrap. I made a brief stop at Rite Aid to see if there were Easter versions of those cute Christmas Care Bears I bought back in November. Didn't see any, so I took the long way home through Cooper River Park.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, making sugar cookies, and watching The Pirate Movie. The bathroom in particular needed a good scrub. The bathtub was HORRIBLE. There were these brown blotches of god-knows-what. They came off with some scrubbing and bleach.

After last night's The Black Swan, I was in the mood for another, goofier 20th Century Fox nautical epic. The Pirate Movie is a very funny spoof of The Pirates of Penzance and was a childhood favorite of mine. I've mentioned it before on this blog. A young Australian girl named Mabel is accidentally knocked out while chasing her friends and an attractive boy she has her eye on, and dreams herself into The Pirates of Penzance, complete with Modern Major Generals, Pirate Kings, cowardly cops, Indiana Jones, Inspector Cleuseu, and drippy 80s ballads.

Don't come here if you're looking for a straight version of The Pirates of Penzance; purists will want to steer very clear. Don't come if you're not a fan of spoofs, silly innuendo, Monty Python-esque slapstick, or cheesy 80s tunes, either. Like most guilty pleasures, people either adore this film as an endearingly odd funfest or consider it to be one of the worst musicals ever. I think of it as the missing link between the Airplane! movies and Top Secret!, a wacky cross between Moulin Rouge, Pirates of the Carribean, and the aforementioned Airplane movies.

No comments: